FBI says it warned about potential violence ahead of U.

Click to play video 'U.S. Capitol riot: Investigations will be long-term, stakeholders in it ‘for the long haul,’ says DC federal prosecutor'

WATCH: : Investigations will be long-term, stakeholders in it ‘for the long haul,’ says DC federal prosecutor

The FBI warned law enforcement agencies ahead of last week’s breach of the U.S. Capitol about the potential for extremist-driven violence, U.S. officials said on Tuesday, contradicting earlier statements that they were caught off guard by the assault by supporters of President Donald Trump.

Nearly a week after the riot, officials said they were combing through mountains of evidence and vowed to aggressively seek out those who perpetrated the brazen attack on the U.S. Capitol. Though most of the charges brought so far have been misdemeanours, acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin said the Justice Department was considering bringing sedition charges against some of the rioters, effectively accusing them of attempting to overthrow or defeat the government.

“This is only the beginning,” Sherwin said. “We’re going to focus on the most significant charges as a deterrent because, regardless of it was just a trespass in the Capitol or if someone planted a pipe bomb, you will be charged and you will be found.”

The Justice Department has created a specialized strike force to examine the possibility of sedition charges. Officials said they were utilizing some of the same techniques in the riot probe as they use in international counterterrorism investigations, examining the money flow and movement of defendants leading up to the breach. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, a New York Democrat, called for the rioters to be added to a no-fly list, a tool most commonly applied in foreign terror cases.

The statements by FBI and Justice Department officials on Tuesday were intended as both a defence of federal law enforcement preparations before the deadly riot and as a warning to participants. But they also raised new questions about the co-ordination across agencies for the Jan. 6 riot, which was sparked by Trump’s calls for his supporters to fight Congress’ vote confirming President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.

In the immediate aftermath of the riot, some law enforcement officials, including the Capitol police chief, said they were unaware of serious concerns leading up to Jan. 6 and had prepared only for a free-speech protest.

But on Tuesday, The Washington Post reported on the existence of a Jan. 5 report from the FBI’s field office in Norfolk, Virginia, that forecast, in detail, the chances for “war” in Washington the following day. Steven D’Antuono, the assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Washington field office, said that once he received the Jan. 5 warning, it was shared with other law enforcement agencies within 40 minutes.

Trending Stories

D’Antuono was among the officials who suggested law enforcement had simply been caught off guard, saying on Friday: “There was no indication that there was anything other than first amendment protected activity.” He did not explain the discrepancy in his statements, though he suggested Tuesday that the Norfolk warning was specific in terms of individual leads to investigate, characterizing it as a “thread on a message board.” U.S. Capitol Police and other official didn’t immediately respond to questions about their own initial assessments of the threat.

A U.S. defence official familiar with the discussions said Tuesday that Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy was not notified about the FBI warning.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said that it is unclear whether any defence or military officials heard about the notification from the FBI, but that statements in recent days from all the leaders indicate they weren’t aware that violence of that level was expected at the Capitol.

Defence and National Guard officials, including McCarthy, have said in interviews over the past several days they were told by D.C. that they believed the protests would be similar to the ones on Nov. 14 and Dec. 12. And they said that federal law enforcement authorities said that there was activity on Twitter, but that they weren’t expecting the level of violence they ultimately saw last Wednesday.

Even without intelligence from law enforcement, there had been ample warning about pro-Trump demonstrations in Washington. But Capitol Police did not bolster staffing and made no preparations for the possibility that the planned protests could escalate into massive, violent riots, according to several people briefed on the law enforcement response. Officials turned down help offered by the Pentagon three days before the riot.

When backup was finally requested, it took more than two hours for troops to mobilize near the Capitol. By then the mob had raged inside for more than four hours.

Once the mob began to move on the Capitol, a police lieutenant issued an order not to use deadly force, which explains why officers outside the building did not draw their weapons as the crowd closed in. Officers are sometimes ordered to keep their weapons holstered to avoid escalating a situation if superiors believe doing so could lead to a stampede or a shootout.

In this instance, it also left officers with little ability to resist the mob. In one video from the scene, an officer puts up his fists to try to push back a crowd pinning him and his colleagues against a door. The crowd jeers, “You are not American!” and one man tries to prod him with the tip of an American flag.

The rampage through the halls of Congress sent lawmakers of both parties and Trump’s own vice-president into hiding, as crowds called for Mike Pence’s lynching for his role overseeing the vote count. The scene also undermined the hallmark of the republic _ the peaceful transition of power. At least five people died, including one Capitol Police officer.

____

Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor in Washington contributed to this report.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Global News

Breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

https://globalnews.ca/

Related news

Boeing 737 MAX To Fly Again In Europe After 22 Months.

The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) said Wednesday that it had cleared the Boeing 737 MAX to fly again in European skies, 22 months after the plane was grounded following two fatal...

NDTV News

Biden to Putin: U.S. strongly supports Ukraine

Biden to Putin: U.S. strongly supports Ukraine

U.S. President Joe Biden on Tuesday had his first phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, recalling, among other important issues, that the United States strongly supports Ukraine's sovereignty, according to White House Press Secretary J...

Censor.Net

UK arrivals face hotel quarantine in COVID-19 plans to prevent mutant strains.

UK arrivals face hotel quarantine in COVID-19 plans to prevent mutant strains.

Boris Johnson is considering plans to force all travellers to the UK to quarantine for 10 days in hotels, in a bid to stop mutant strains of coronavirus from abroad reaching Britain. Under the scheme, everyone entering the UK would have to pay for...

Challenges Abound as Biden Begins First Full Week as President.

Challenges Abound as Biden Begins First Full Week as President.

The nationwide coronavirus vaccination effort and his predecessor’s impeachment trial are among issues confronting the 46th US president

Dr. Jill Biden Steps Into First Lady Role

Dr. Jill Biden Steps Into First Lady Role

The wife of recently inaugurated President Joe Biden has made clear that education policy will be a priority for her in the White House

Sarah Sanders running for governor of Arkansas

Sarah Sanders running for governor of Arkansas

Former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced Monday that she is running for governor of Arkansas in 2022. Read more here: Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) ...

Former footballer Micah Richards calls on social media giants to curb racist abuse.

Former footballer Micah Richards calls on social media giants to curb racist abuse.

Micah Richards has called for certain racist words to be banned from use on social media. The former footballer says big companies claim they are tackling the issue of hate speech online, but "people are getting racially abused every single day - ...

Dominion sues Rudy Giuliani for $1.3 billion over false election claims

Dominion sues Rudy Giuliani for $1.3 billion over false election claims

Dominion Voting Systems has sued former President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani for defamation after he pushed claims of election fraud against the company. CNN's Elie Honig breaks down the case. #CNN #News