Disneyland Paris Reopens, But Ban On Hugging Famous Characters.

Disneyland Paris Reopens, But Ban On Hugging Famous Characters

Visitors and staff wearing face masks, walk down the Main Street of Disneyland Paris (AFP)

Marne-la-Vallee, France:

Disneyland Paris, Europe's biggest private tourist attraction, reopened its gates Wednesday after four months of coronavirus lockdown, albeit with limited access and a ban on hugging the famous characters.

As festive music played, Mickey, Pluto and other Disney characters greeted the first visitors -- all sporting face masks and some the trademark Mickey Mouse ears -- while keeping a safe distance from the guests.

Despite the merry mood, things at Disneyland are not quite back to normal as the COVID-19 pandemic was again showing a slight uptick in a country where it has claimed more than 30,000 lives.

Earlier this month the Disney World resort reopened in Florida, and Disney has already resumed activities at its theme parks in Shanghai and Hong Kong.

But a surge of COVID-19 cases in California prevented the planned reopening of Disneyland near Los Angeles on July 17, and no new date has yet been set.

As at other resorts, visitor numbers at Disneyland Paris will be limited, the attraction's operator said, without indicating the ceiling.

All guests from age 11 must wear masks, and visitors must observe social distancing in queues and on rides.

Sanitising hand gel has been made available at more than 2,000 distribution points.

The operator said "close interactions, including hugs" for Disney's cuddly mascots will be "temporarily suspended", there will be no princess makeovers, and the daily parade of characters will return only at a later date.

More than 17,000 people work at Disneyland Paris, which began halting shows and limiting visitor numbers even before France's official lockdown took effect in mid-March, after some maintenance workers tested positive for COVID-19.

Some 45 kilometres (28 miles) away in central Paris, the iconic Eiffel Tower reopened its top level on Wednesday in another symbolic step towards a return to normal in one of the world's most visited cities.

Last year, Paris and its surrounding region chalked up 50 million visitors, a number that hospitality industry officials expect to plunge this year because of strict travel curbs imposed because of the coronavirus crisis.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Comments

Related news

‘We are overwhelmed’: International aid needed after Beirut explosion, Vancouver consul says.

"Beirut was the jewel of the Middle East. It has a big role to do between east and west as a bridge and it needs to be rebuilt."

Tropical storm Isaias: Death toll rises to 9, millions left without power.

At least nine people, including a 5-year-old autistic girl, were killed as Tropical Storm Isaias battered the U.S. East Coast with rain and fierce winds after making landfall as a hurricane in North Carolina.

Trump Hedges «Bomb» Claim As US Offers Lebanon Aid After Beirut Explosion.

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday the deadly Beirut explosion may have been an accident, after raising eyebrows earlier suggesting it was an attack.

Facebook removes Trump coronavirus post over misinformation.

"This video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19, which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation," a Facebook spokesman said.

1 4

Photos capture devastation of Beirut explosion

It’s believed at least 135 people were killed and about 5,000 more injured after a pair of explosions rocked Beirut, Lebanon’s capital and largest city, on Tuesday evening. The blast tore through the city’s port area and beyond, ...

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies