US leaves consulate in Chengdu amid row with China

China took over the premises of the US consulate in the southwestern city of Chengdu on Monday, after ordering the facility to be vacated in retaliation for China’s removal last week from its consulate in Houston, Texas.

The seizure capped a dramatic escalation in tensions between the world’s two biggest economies that began when employees at China’s Houston consulate were seen burning documents in a courtyard last Tuesday, hours before Beijing announced that it had been ordered to leave the facility.

The US consulate in Chengdu, in Sichuan province, was closed on Monday, and Chinese authorities then entered the building from the front door, China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

On Friday, Beijing announced that it had asked the United States to close its Chengdu post, and gave the Americans 72 hours to vacate, the same amount of time China was given to leave its Houston mission, which was shut on Friday.

“We are disappointed by the Chinese Communist Party’s decision and will strive to continue our outreach to the people in this important region through our other posts in China,” a US State Department spokesperson said.

At midday on Monday, police removed a roadblock that had restricted access to the Chengdu facility, and dozens of passersby stopped to take photos and videos.

One man stood across the street and played the Chinese national anthem from his phone.

Grey sheet-like material was placed over the spot near the entrance where a plaque had been affixed, and over the place where there was large lettering saying “US Consulate General”.

The US embassy issued a video in Chinese on its Twitter feed: “The US consulate in Chengdu has been proudly promoting the mutual understanding between Americans and the people in Sichuan, Chongqing, Guizhou, Yunnan and Tibet since 1985. We will forever miss you,” it said.

On Sunday night, a crane was seen entering the consulate compound and hoisting at least one container onto a large truck.

The Chengdu consulate opened in 1985 and had almost 200 employees, including about 150 locally hired staff, according to its website. It was not immediately clear how many had been working there at the time of its closure, after US diplomats were evacuated from China because of the coronavirus pandemic.

US-China relations have plunged to their worst in decades over a range of disputes, from trade and technology to the Covid-19 pandemic, China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea and its clampdown on Hong Kong.

On Thursday, US secretary of state Mike Pompeo gave a speech calling a more assertive approach to China the “mission of our time”. - Reuters

Related news

Coroanvirus: Australia reports record single day rise in deaths.

World round-up: China reports new infections as Greece announces records daily number of cases

Belarus: One killed, dozens injured in protests as Lukashenko set for sixth term.

Opponents of strongman president allege latest election contest rigged in his favour

1

Beirut explosion: Donors pledge €253m in emergency aid.

IMF willing to redouble efforts but said all Lebanon’s institutions need to show willingness to reform

Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested under new security law.

Lai has been a prominent democracy activist and an ardent critic of Beijing

1 1

Labour MP Dawn Butler stopped by police in London

‘It’s really important that we focus on whether the system is institutionally racist’

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies