CAF commander to issue formal apology as part of sexual misconduct settlement.

Click to play video 'Federal court approves $900M settlement for CAF sexual misconduct victims'

WATCH: (2019) Federal court approves $900M settlement for CAF sexual misconduct victims – Nov 25, 2019

The commander of the Canadian Armed Forces is preparing to formally apologize to victims of sexual misconduct.

The apology is part of a $900-million settlement agreement that the federal government reached with current and former military members, as well as civilian Defence Department employees, last year after a class-action lawsuit against the Forces.

Lawyer Jonathan Ptak, who represented the plaintiffs, says his clients are looking forward to the apology from the chief of the defence staff as well as the Defence Department’s deputy minister as soon as is reasonable under the current circumstances with COVID-19.

Trending Stories

Ptak says the apology is important for victims of military sexual abuse to heal and have their experiences acknowledged.

The Defence Department is declining to provide details on the apology, but vice-chief of the defence staff Lt.-Gen. Mike Rouleau recently told The Canadian Press that it is being planned alongside a week of training for military members on sexual misconduct.

It is not clear whether the apology will be delivered by the outgoing chief of the defence staff, Gen. Jonathan Vance, or his still-to-be-named successor.

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Global News

Breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

https://globalnews.ca/

Related news
Covid update: Coronavirus news from around the world - DW News.

Covid update: Coronavirus news from around the world - DW News.

Germany has introduced new tougher restrictions for travelers arriving from countries designated as high-risk due to COVID 19. Border police stepped up controls at German airports for passengers from around 30 countries designated as high-risk or ...

Will Biden's executive actions on immigration strain the US Southern Border?.

Will Biden's executive actions on immigration strain the US Southern Border?.

Former Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf weighs in on Joe Biden's executive orders regarding immigration and border security. Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encom...

Senate 'must do many things at once' as impeachment trial nears: Sen.

Senate 'must do many things at once' as impeachment trial nears: Sen.

George Stephanopoulos interviews Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., on "This Week."

Trump's legal team prepares for Senate impeachment trial as Schumer agrees to delay.

Trump's legal team prepares for Senate impeachment trial as Schumer agrees to delay.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has agreed to delay former President Trump's impeachment trial by two weeks. The House still plans to submit the article of impeachment on Monday, prompting the proceedings to begin. Harvard Law professor Lawre...

Mediterranean migrant rescue ship Ocean Viking seeks safe harbor - DW News.

Mediterranean migrant rescue ship Ocean Viking seeks safe harbor - DW News.

A humanitarian ship carrying more than 370 people, including a one-month old baby, is urgently seeking to dock at a Mediterranean sea port, as weather in the area worsens. The migrants from Guinea, Sudan and Sierra Leone, were picked-up after tryi...

'Shame On Ss:' Sen. Durbin Says Of The Filibuster Impeding Action On Issues - Meet The Press

'Shame On Ss:' Sen. Durbin Says Of The Filibuster Impeding Action On Issues - Meet The Press

In an exclusive interview with Meet the Press, Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says that the Senate should consider "a change in rule" regarding the filibuster if it continues to impede action on important issues.» Subscribe to NBC News: » Watch more NB...