Netherlands brings MH17 case against Russia before ECHR.

The Dutch government has decided to bring Russia before the European Court of Human Rights for its role in the downing of Flight MH17.

The decision was approved by the Government today, the press service informs.

“By submitting an inter-State application, the government is sharing all available and relevant information about the downing of Flight MH17 with the ECHR. The contents of the inter-State application will also be incorporated into the Netherlands’ intervention in the individual applications submitted by the victims’ next of kin against Russia to the ECtHR. By taking this course of action the government is offering maximum support to these individual cases,” the statement reads.

“Achieving justice for 298 victims of the downing of Flight MH17 is and will remain the government’s highest priority. By taking this step today – bringing a case before the ECtHR and thus supporting the applications of the next of kin as much as we can – we are moving closer to this goal,” said Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands Stef Blok.

As reported, in May 2018, the Netherlands and Australia formally accused Russia of being responsible for the downing of the Malaysia Airlines passenger jet.

In March this year, the District Court of The Hague began the consideration of the case of the downing of flight MH17 in the sky over Donbas.

On June 19, 2019, the international Joint Investigation Team named four suspects believed to be involved in the transportation and combat use of the Buk missile system, from which MH17 flight had been downed. Three of them are Russians: Igor Girkin (Strelkov), former colonel in Russia's FSB intelligence service and former so-called defense minister of the so-called “Donetsk People’s Republic”; Sergey Dubinskiy, general (at the time of downing – colonel) of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces and head of the so-called “Main Intelligence Directorate of the Donetsk People’s Republic”; Oleg Pulatov, lieutenant colonel of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces. The fourth suspect is Leonid Kharchenko, a Ukrainian civilian, who fought on the side of the so-called “Donetsk People’s Republic.” Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down over conflict-hit Donbas in July 2014. There were 283 passengers and 15 crew members on board. All of them died.

The Joint Investigation Team reported that the plane had been shot down from a Buk missile system that belongs to the 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade of the Russian Armed Forces stationed in Kursk.

ol

Related news

Ukraine expects to swap 100 prisoners with Russia-controlled Donbas within weeks – media.

The swap would be second this year and the fourth since Zelensky became president in 2019.

Canada ‘profoundly concerned’ about citizen facing death penalty in China.

'Canada opposes the use of the death penalty in all cases, everywhere,' said a Global Affairs Canada spokesman.

Ukrainian envoy says Ukraine may initiate new Budapest Memorandum if Minsk talks fail.

The Budapest Memorandum was signed on December 5, 1994.

Saudi crown prince sent kill squad to Toronto in search of ex-intel chief, lawsuit alleges.

Saudi crown prince sent the team used in Jamal Khashoggi's killing to hunt former spy in Toronto.

3 1699

Coronavirus: It’s possible U.S. will have vaccine before Nov. 3 election, Trump claims

The U.S. president's statement is a more optimistic forecast than the timing put forth by his own White House health experts.

1 162

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies