Uruguay rugby players questioned by police over alleged nightclub assault in Japan.

Police in Japan have questioned two Uruguay players who allegedly assaulted a nightclub employee hours after the team’s exit from the Rugby World Cup at the weekend.

The players, who have not been named, allegedly shoved a male employee at Bacon Egg nightclub in the southwestern city of Kumamoto during an alcohol-fuelled night out with teammates and team staff, according to Japanese media.

The players also allegedly spilled drinks on DJ equipment, punched walls and mirrors and tore apart a stuffed bear, Kyodo reported.

Rugby World Cup power rankings: breaking down all 20 teams in Japan

Read more

The club was packed with about 200 people when the alleged assault took place in the early hours of Monday morning, the news agency added.

Police questioned the players over the incident, which occurred hours after Uruguay’s 35-13 defeat to Wales in their final pool D match. The club’s owners were reported to have said they are considering filing a criminal complaint.

Security camera footage shows the employee being pushed to the ground before an unidentified man steps forward to help him to his feet.

Bacon Egg noted on its Twitter account that two Uruguayan players had displayed “disappointing behaviour” at the club.

The players have reportedly expressed remorse over their actions, according to the tournament’s organising committee.

“Even if it happened in their private time, their behaviour is regrettable. As the organising committee of the host country, we hope to address it in good faith,” Kyodo quoted a committee official as saying.

The alleged assault contrasts with the impeccable behaviour displayed by other rugby teams in Japan.

Canadian players won praise on social media for helping clean up host city Kamaishi after it was struck by a powerful typhoon last weekend.

Typhoon Hagibis, which killed more then 70 people and caused widespread flooding, forced the cancellation of Canada’s final pool match, against Namibia, on Sunday.

Photographs and video clips appeared of more than a dozen players and team officials shoveling mud into sandbags, carrying furniture and clearing debris in the north-eastern coastal city, which had been selected to host two World Cup matches to spur its recovery from the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Related news

Conor McGregor prepares for UFC comeback with outside training drills as young son zooms around on toy car.

CONOR MCGREGOR looks to be having a ball as he prepares for his UFC comeback with training drills on his personal tennis court. The Notorious has confirmed he will step back into the Octagon in Las Vegas on January 18 – although his opponent...

Trump says he ‘likes the idea’ of offering testimony in impeachment hearings.

The invitation comes as the House intelligence committee is set to hear more testimonies in the second week of public hearings.

French bridge collapse kills 15-year-old girl

Several feared missing after suspension bridge falls into river near ToulouseA 15-year-old girl was killed after a suspension bridge over a river in south-west France collapsed, causing a car, a truck and possibly a third vehicle to plunge into th...

Mercedes apologise to Lewis Hamilton after last-lap strategy gaffe led to crash with Alex Albon.

MERCEDES have apologised to Lewis Hamilton for a strategic blunder that led to his final lap collision with Alex Albon. Hamilton punted the Red Bull man off the track; an error that saw him hit with a five-second time penalty from the race steward...

Italian art police arrest 23 over archeological artefacts trafficking.

Raids in four countries, including the UK, as part of operation to recover relics stolen in CalabriaItalian art police have searched houses and buildings in four countries, including Britain, and arrested 23 people on charges of trafficking archeo...

Продовжуючи переглядати World News (UAZMI), ви підтверджуєте, що ознайомилися з Правилами користування сайтом, і погоджуєтеся на використання файлів cookie