Prince Harry Has Fulfilled «Debt Obligations» On UK Home: Report.

Meghan, Prince Harry Have Fulfilled 'Debt Obligations' On UK Home: Report

Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, now live in California with their son Archie. (File)

London:

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have met their "obligations" in regards to their British home and no more payments on the property will be needed for the time being, a senior Buckingham Palace source has said.

The couple, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have faced criticism from some British media after they spent 2.4 million pounds on refurbishing Frogmore Cottage, set within the grounds of Queen Elizabeth's Windsor Castle west of London, before they quit their roles as working royals at the end of March.

Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, now live in California with their son Archie but have kept the Windsor home as their British base.

Earlier this month, their spokesperson confirmed they had made a contribution to cover its renovation costs, and the palace source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that payment also covered rent, set at a commercial rate, which they owed from April.

"They have fulfilled their current obligations, their debt obligations in relation to Frogmore Cottage, and they have made a payment that will recognise that they have paid for the rental of that property for a number of years," the source said.

"There will be a point in the future when they would be expected to make further payments."

The disclosure comes as royal accounts released on Friday showed the queen's finances will take a hit over the next few years because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Sovereign Grant, a taxpayer-funded contribution which covers staffing costs, upkeep of palaces and travel expenses, is based on 15 percent of surplus revenue from the Crown Estate, a property portfolio belonging to the monarchy, from two years previously.

In 2016, this was raised to 25 percent for a decade to pay for a major 10-year overhaul of Buckingham Palace. That provided the queen with 82.4 million pounds for the financial year 2019-20.

However, the Crown Estate's revenues have been hit by the COVID pandemic, meaning the Sovereign Grant figure of 86.3 million for 2021-2 would be frozen for the following year, as the funding formula means it cannot fall in absolute terms.

Michael Stevens, the queen's treasurer, known as Keeper of the Privy Purse, said they now forecast there would be a 20 million pound shortfall in the 369 million pound budget for the work at Buckingham Palace.

He also said they faced losing five million pounds per year for the next three years from other income, mainly the Royal Collection Trust which gets its funding from ticket sales to royal palaces that were closed during the coronavirus lockdown.

"In responding to both these financial challenges we have no intention of asking for extra funding and will look to manage the impact through our own efforts and efficiencies," Stevens said.

Among action being taken is a recruitment freeze for all but essential roles, and a payment freeze for all staff since April.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Comments

Related news

Number of COVID-19 cases confirmed worldwide exceeds 40 mln.

The overall death toll is 1,117,577 people, while 27,628,834 coronavirus patients have already recovered.

«Fauci A Disaster. We'd Have 500,000 Deaths If I Listened To Him» : Trump

President Donald Trump called coronavirus expert Anthony Fauci a "disaster" on Monday, airing his frustration with the scientist during a call meant to reassure campaign staff he has a path to victory...

Duterte says ‘hold me responsible’ for killings under Philippines’ ‘war on drugs’.

Nearly 6,000 killings of drug suspects have been reported by police but rights watchdogs suspect the death toll is far larger.

UNICEF Plans To Stock Half Billion Syringes As World Awaits Covid Vaccine.

The UNICEF said it will stockpile 520 million syringes in its warehouses, as part of a larger plan of one billion hypodermic needles by 2021, to guarantee initial supply and help ensure that syringes...

Trump mulls offering companies favours for campaign funds ‘if I wanted to’.

Trump said "I don't want to do that" because he would be "totally compromised."

Luis Arce claims victory in Bolivian presidential election as country shifts left.

The leading rival of Morales's handpicked successor, Luis Arce, conceded defeat as did interim President Jeanine Anez, a bitter foe of Morales.

U.S. Senate to hold rare weekend session to secure Barrett’s spot on Supreme Court

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he will begin the process as soon as the Senate Judiciary Committee wraps up its work Thursday.

1 674

«Harmful, Haphazard» : US Business Lobby Files Lawsuit Against H-1B Rule.

The US Chamber of Commerce, the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) and several other organisations have filed a lawsuit against the federal government, asserting that recent H-1B regulations...

New H-1B Rule «Will Impede US Economy» , Say Critics; Lawsuit Filed.

Seventeen individuals and organisations, including universities and businesses, have filed a lawsuit against the US Department of Labor challenging its recent Interim Final Rule on wages related to...

Argentina becomes 5th country to surpass 1 million coronavirus cases.

Across Latin America, three other nations are expected to reach the 1 million case milestone in the coming weeks — Colombia, Mexico and Peru.

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies