China blasts dam to release water as flooding death toll rises.

WATCH: China battles damage left by extensive flooding

Authorities in central China blasted a dam Sunday to release surging waters behind it amid widespread flooding across the country that has claimed scores of lives.

State broadcaster CCTV reported the dam on the Chuhe River in Anhui province was destroyed with explosives early Sunday morning, after which the water level was expected to drop by 70 centimetres (more than 2 feet).

Water levels on many rivers, including the mighty Yangtze, have been unusually high this year because of torrential rains.

Blasting dams and embankments to discharge water was an extreme response employed during China’s worst floods in recent years in 1998, when more than 2,000 people died and almost 3 million homes were destroyed.

Last week, the gargantuan Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze opened three floodgates as the water level behind the massive dam rose more than 15 metres above flood level. Another flood crest is expected to arrive at the dam on Tuesday.

Trending Stories

  • 3 dead after motor coach rollover near Jasper: RCMP

  • ‘Ellen DeGeneres Show’ staff respond to ‘toxic’ workplace complaints

Elsewhere, soldiers and workers have been testing the strength of embankments and shoring them up with sandbags and rocks. On Saturday, firefighters and others finished filling in a 188-meter (620-foot) break on Poyang Lake, China’s largest freshwater lake, that had caused widespread flooding across 15 villages and agricultural fields in Jiangxi province. More than 14,000 people were evacuated.

Seasonal flooding strikes large parts of China annually, especially in its central and southern regions, but has been especially severe this summer. More than 150 people have died or are missing in flooding and landslides brought on by the torrential rains — 23 of them since Thursday alone.

About 1.8 million people have been evacuated and direct losses attributed to flooding are estimated at more than 49 billion yuan ($7 billion), according to the Ministry of Emergency Management.

Major cities have been spared so far, but concern has risen over Wuhan and other downstream metropolises that are home to tens of millions of people.

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Related news

Tropical storm Isaias: Death toll rises to 9, millions left without power.

At least nine people, including a 5-year-old autistic girl, were killed as Tropical Storm Isaias battered the U.S. East Coast with rain and fierce winds after making landfall as a hurricane in North Carolina.

Trump Hedges «Bomb» Claim As US Offers Lebanon Aid After Beirut Explosion.

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday the deadly Beirut explosion may have been an accident, after raising eyebrows earlier suggesting it was an attack.

Facebook removes Trump coronavirus post over misinformation.

"This video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from COVID-19, which is a violation of our policies around harmful COVID misinformation," a Facebook spokesman said.

1 4

Photos capture devastation of Beirut explosion

It’s believed at least 135 people were killed and about 5,000 more injured after a pair of explosions rocked Beirut, Lebanon’s capital and largest city, on Tuesday evening. The blast tore through the city’s port area and beyond, ...

Canada to provide $5M to Lebanon after deadly blasts: Champagne.

In a tweet Wednesday evening, Francois-Philippe Champagne said Canada is "providing an initial $5 million in humanitarian assist for the people of Lebanon."

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies