A BUILDER has been impaled on a metal rod that went up his backside and narrowly missed his heart after falling from a construction platform.
The unnamed 22-year-old was working on a building site in the city of Huzhou in eastern China when he fell almost 13 feet onto the rebar.
A 3-D x-ray shows a metal bar that impaled a man after he fell onto it while working on a construction site in ChinaCredit: AsiaWire
The man was rushed to hospital and underwent emergency surgeryCredit: AsiaWire
He fell unconscious and was rushed to the nearby Zhejiang University No 2 Hospital, where he underwent emergency surgery.
Doctors said the bar went through several internal organs, with a 3-D x-ray of the man showing the path it travelled after entering his body.
The tip of the bar stopped just three centimetres short of the man's heart.
The emergency procedure required several doctors, including specialists in the liver and intestine responsible for removing the bar from each organ.
The bar was finally removed at around 3am on the day following the accident.
The surgery is reported to have been completed without complication, and the builder is now recovering in hospital.
Doctor Chen Congcong, one of the surgeons who conducted the operation, said: "The rebar hurt the man's liver, intestines and lungs.
"Fortunately, it missed his heart, otherwise nobody could have saved him."
The incident is just the latest in a string of others that have seen construction workers in China suffer similar injuries.
The man is by no means the first worker on a Chinese construction site to suffer an injury of this sort.
In April, a 46-year-old man on a site in the northeastern city of Jinan fell 16 feet onto a bar that entered his backside and came out the side of his head.
In March last year, another 46-year-old working in the Liaoning Province fell onto a bar that went in through the back of his neck and came out through his mouth.
That February, a 64-year-old was skewered by a bar that stopped in his abdomen after falling six feet onto a bar.
In 2017, a 37-year-old was impaled after being electrocuted by a live wire and thrown backwards onto a bar.
The bar was finally removed at 3am on the day following the accidentCredit: AsiaWire
It skewered multiple organs and stopped just centimetres short of the man's heartCredit: AsiaWire
Doctor Chen Congcong said that nobody could have saved the man had the bar not missed his heartCredit: AsiaWire