Meghan Markle felt ‘unprotected’ by Royal Family while pregnant, court documents suggest.

In new court documents, Meghan Markle claims she was "unprotected" by the Royal Family and wasn't allowed to defend herself against the press.

In new court documents, Meghan Markle claims she was "unprotected" by the Royal Family and wasn't allowed to defend herself against the press.

File/Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images

In new court documents, Meghan Markle says she felt “unprotected by the Institution” of the monarchy and was “prohibited from defending herself” against media during her pregnancy.

The documents are part of an ongoing lawsuit against Associated Papers, which publishes the Mail on Sunday and Mail Online. The lawsuit specifically focuses on the 2018 publication of a private letter Markle sent to her father, Thomas Markle, in the Mail on Sunday before her royal wedding.

The BBC, which obtained the court documents, says the papers revealed answers to questions asked by Associated Newspapers about Markle’s case. Global News has not independently reviewed the documents.

In reference to interviews with five of Markle’s friends conducted by People anonymously last February, the court documents say:

“The Claimant had become the subject of a large number of false and damaging articles by the UK tabloid media, specifically by the Defendant, which caused tremendous emotional distress and damage to her mental health.

“As her friends had never seen her in this state before, they were rightly concerned for her welfare, specifically as she was pregnant, unprotected by the Institution, and prohibited from defending herself.”

The documents also argue that security costs for Prince Harry and Markle’s wedding, paid for by taxpayer dollars, would’ve been outweighed by tourism revenue, which is estimated to be more than £1 billion. The cost of their wedding was widely discussed in the media that year.

Markle’s team also appeared to criticize Kensington Palace for not allowing her to defend herself against the press, instead responding to press inquiries with “no comment,” Business Insider reports.

Trending Stories

  • New Zealand health minister resigns as coronavirus cases re-emerge

  • Little Caesars staff fired after couple finds pepperoni swastika on their pizza

“The stance of ‘no comment’ was taken by the Kensington Palace Communications Team without any discussion with or approval by the Claimant, as is standard practice for Royal communications,” the duchess’ spokesperson said, according to the publication.

The privacy claim against Associated Papers was first launched in October last year at the end of Markle and Harry’s royal tour in Africa.

The company has denied the allegations, particularly the claim that the letter was presented in a way that changed its meaning.

After the preliminary hearing in May, parts of the duchess’s claim against the U.K. tabloid were struck out.

Allegations dropped by Justice Warby included the claim that the Mail on Sunday deliberately “stirred up” trouble between Markle and her father and that it had an “agenda” and acted “dishonestly” by leaving out certain parts of the letter, Sky News reports.

In his ruling, Warby said the claims were “irrelevant” to Markle’s wider claim of misuse of private information, copyright infringement and breach of the Data Protection Act.

A spokesperson for the couple confirmed to NBC News that Harry and Markle woke up at 4 a.m. to listen in to the ruling from Los Angeles, where they now live with their son, Archie.

Kensington Palace has yet to comment on the claims in the lawsuit.

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related news

Former officer charged in George Floyd’s death described self as a ‘human traffic cone’.

Floyd, a handcuffed Black man, died after a white officer, Derek Chauvin, pressed his knee against Floyd's neck for nearly eight minutes on May 25 as Floyd repeatedly said he could not breathe and as bystanders pleaded with officers to help him.

Pope Francis urges Egypt, Ethiopia, Sudan to continue talks over disputed dam.

Francis, speaking to a crowd gathered at St. Peter's Square on an official Catholic feast day, said he was closely following negotiations between the three countries over the dam.

California wildfires burn amid risk of new blazes fuelled by statewide heat wave.

A huge forest fire that prompted evacuations north of Los Angeles flared up Friday afternoon, sending up an enormous cloud of smoke as it headed down to the desert floor and the California aqueduct in the Antelope Valley.

Death of George Floyd ignites push to train police to stop abuse.

Despite policies on the books for years that require officers across the United States to stop colleagues from using excessive force, there has been little or no effort to teach officers how to intervene, law enforcement officials and experts say.

Police in Portland declare unlawful assembly as protests continue.

Portland police declared an unlawful assembly Friday night and ordered protesters to leave, saying people were throwing things at officers.

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies