Photo from president.gov.ua
Deputy Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council(NSDC)Serhiy Kryvonos says Ukraine cannot currently retake Russia-occupied Crimea by military means.
"We clearly understand that Ukraine cannot solve the problem by force at this stage. Because there are problems. This is, firstly, the war in Donbas. To wage a war on two fronts, even legally retaking our lands – we won't manage it," he told the Dom TV channel.
Read also Crimea invaders force locals to drop Ukrainian passports– envoy to UN According to the official, active cooperation with world leaders and the buildup of sanctions against Russia is the main task for Ukraine to regain Crimea.
"These sanctions should bring Russia to such a level to make them either give up Crimea or – let's say – be broke. Simultaneously, [we should] strengthen the country's defense capability, which will allow [us] to act with the use of military means, if necessary," he added.
International platform for end of Crimea occupation
- In late July, Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal announced the finalization of the concept of the "Crimea is Ukraine" international platform and that a consultative and advisory format with the transition to a negotiation format was supposed at first.
- On August 24, Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said Ukraine would offer Germany to join the future international platform.
Russian occupation of Crimea
- Russia annexed Ukraine's Crimea in March 2014 after its troops had occupied the peninsula. An illegal referendum was held for Crimeans to decide on accession to Russia. De-facto Crimean authorities reported that allegedly 96.77% of the Crimean population had voted for joining Russia.
- On March 18, 2014, the so-called agreement on the accession of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol to Russia was signed in the Kremlin.
- The West did not recognize the annexation in response to which sanctions against Russia were introduced.
- Ukraine's parliament voted to designate February 20, 2014, as the official date when the temporary occupation of Crimea began.