Boy (15) in Mongolia dies of bubonic plague

A 15-year-old boy has died in western Mongolia of bubonic plague, the country’s national news agency reported.

The health ministry said laboratory tests confirmed the teenager died of plague that he contracted from an infected marmot, according to the Montsame News Agency.

The case prompted the government to impose a quarantine on a portion of the province of Gobi-Altai.

Montsame said 15 people who had contact with the boy were isolated.

In an unrelated case in neighbouring China, a patient who was infected with plague in the northern region of Inner Mongolia is improving, according to China’s official Xinhua News Agency.

Xinhua said 15 people who had close contact with the patient were released from quarantine on Sunday. The agency said the government ended its top-level emergency response.

An official announcement earlier said a warning to the public in the Bayannur region of Inner Mongolia to avoid eating marmot and to report dead animals would last until the end of 2020. – AP

Related news

Lebanon needs billions, but donors will shun its broken institutions.

€253m in humanitarian aid pledged on Sunday can go through NGOs – but it is only a start

Bolivia at a standstill as protesters demand election goes ahead.

Blockades and coronavirus deepen country’s crisis, sparked by last year’s defeat of Evo Morales

Coroanvirus: Australia reports record single day rise in deaths.

World round-up: China reports new infections as Greece announces records daily number of cases

1 2

Coronavirus: Australia reports record single day rise in deaths.

World round-up: China reports new infections as Greece announces record daily number of cases

Belarus: One killed, dozens injured in protests as Lukashenko set for sixth term.

Opponents of strongman president allege latest election contest rigged in his favour

1

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies