EU proposals on protocol ‘fall short of what is needed’, says Donaldson.

DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson has told European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic that proposed changes to the Northern Ireland protocol “fall short of what is needed”.

The European Commission has laid out measures to slash 80 per cent of regulatory checks and dramatically cut customs processes on the movement of goods, especially food and farming produce, between Britain and the island of Ireland.

Mr Donaldson was speaking following a virtual meeting with Mr Sefcovic on Thursday.

He said: “We had a useful and honest discussion. I welcomed the change of heart in Brussels with the decision to renegotiate.

“For so long we were told the protocol could not be reopened but the persistent pressing of our case has paid dividends.

DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

DUP leader Jeffrey Donaldson. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

“I also explained why the proposals fall short of what is needed.”

Mr Donaldson added: “Short-term fixes will not solve the problems that have beset the United Kingdom internal market.

“Removing some checks today does not solve the divergence problems of tomorrow. State aid and VAT arrangements if left unaltered will be detrimental to Northern Ireland’s long-term prospects.

“We need a sustainable solution which removes the Irish Sea border and restores our place within the United Kingdom.”

‘Not a huge surprise’

The response of Mr Donaldson to EU plans on the Northern Ireland protocol was “not a huge surprise” according to the Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney.

There was a sense within the unionist community that the protocol would have an impact on their sense of identity, so he understood why the response had been cautious and not as fulsome as he would have liked, he told Newstalk Breakfast.

The UK response had been “lukewarm” , he added, but the EU position was that the proposals were not “take it or leave it”, but were a basis for negotiation.

There had to be a way to make progress and find solutions to the protocol, he said. Otherwise the consequences would be significant and negative for everybody.

When asked about a report in The Irish Times about a senior Government official who referred to the Conservative administration in Westminster as “vandals” Mr Coveney said such language was not helpful.

‘Gone to limits’

It comes as the bloc’s ambassador to the UK said the EU has gone to the limits of what it can do to resolve the problems of post-Brexit trade in Northern Ireland.

The British government welcomed the announcement on Wednesday night, signalling that it wants “intensive talks” to follow the EU’s proposals.

At the same time, however, a government spokesman said there has to to be “significant changes” to the protocol in the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement if there is to be a “durable settlement”.

But speaking on BBC2’s Newsnight, ambassador Joao Vale de Almeida said Brussels has gone the “extra mile” and cannot go any further.

“Today we went to the limits of what we can do to address the problems of Northern Ireland because we care for Northern Ireland. These problems were caused by Brexit,” he said.

He stressed that the EU cannot accede to a key British demand to remove the role of the European Court of Justice in overseeing the protocol.

“There is no single market without the European Court of Justice. It’s the referee of the single market,” he said.

In a statement, a British government spokesman said of the EU proposals: “We are studying the detail and will of course look at them seriously and constructively.

“The next step should be intensive talks on both our sets of proposals, rapidly conducted, to determine whether there is common ground to find a solution.

“Significant changes which tackle the fundamental issues at the heart of the protocol, including governance, must be made if we are to agree a durable settlement which commands support in Northern Ireland.”

Welcomed

On Wednesday evening, the EU’s proposals were welcomed by Irish political leaders, with Taoiseach Micheál Martin describing them as “the obvious way forward and the obvious way out of the issues”.

Industry figures in the North said it was clear that the commission had taken their suggestions on board. SDLP leader Colum Eastwood said the ideas “go further than many expected”, while UUP leader Doug Beattie said the EU “has moved significantly”.

Democratic Unionist Party leader Jeffrey Donaldson said the proposals “clearly fall a long way short”, though he welcomed them as an “acknowledgement that the NI protocol has not worked” and backed efforts to find more far-reaching solutions in the coming talks.

The scaled-back checking regime proposed by the EU would also remove the prospect of certain British produce, including Cumberland sausages, being banned from export to the region.

The EU plan also includes a 50 per cent reduction in customs paperwork required to move products into Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

In return, the trading bloc has asked for safeguards to be implemented to provide extra assurances that products said to be destined for Northern Ireland do not end up crossing the Irish Border.

Those include labelling of certain products, making clear they are for sale in the UK only, and enhanced monitoring of supply chain movements and access to real-time trade flow information.

Mr Sefcovic said the bloc has put in a lot of hard work to come up with an “alternative model” for implementing the protocol.

“We have explored every possible angle of the protocol and, at times, went beyond current EU law,” he told a press conference in Brussels on Wednesday.

European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic: The proposals began life in his engagements with Northern Irish stakeholders on a visit there in September. Photograph: Aris Oikonomou/AFP via Getty Images

European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic: The proposals began life in his engagements with Northern Irish stakeholders on a visit there in September. Photograph: Aris Oikonomou/AFP via Getty Images

He added: “With this robust package of practical, imaginative solutions we can continue to implement the protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland for the benefit of all communities on the ground.

“It not only cements stability and predictability, an indispensable ingredient for the local economy to flourish, but also paves the way for enhanced opportunities.”

While the range of measures would go some way to reducing everyday friction on trade caused by the protocol, they do not address the UK demand over the role of the ECJ.

UK Brexit minister David Frost has made clear the removal of the court’s oversight function in policing the protocol is a red line for the Government if a compromise deal is to be struck.

Under the terms of the protocol, which was agreed by the UK and EU as part of the 2020 Withdrawal Agreement, the ECJ would be the final arbitrator in any future trade dispute between the two parties on the operation of the protocol.

The UK now wants to remove that provision and replace it with an independent arbitration process.

The European Commission has insisted it will not move on the ECJ issue.

Mr Frost has warned that the UK could move to suspend parts of the protocol, by triggering the Article 16 mechanism, if an acceptable compromise cannot be reached.

He insisted the reach of the ECJ is a key issue, telling broadcasters: “The problem with the protocol at the moment is that EU law, with the ECJ as the enforcer of it, is applied in Northern Ireland without any sort of democratic process.”

“So that, I think, has to change if we’re to find governance arrangements that people can live with.”

The EU plan amounts to a set of counterproposals in response to a wish list of protocol reforms outlined by the UK government in July.

The proposals from both sides are now set to form the basis of a new round of negotiations between Brussels and London in the weeks ahead.

The Northern Ireland protocol was agreed by the UK and EU as a way to sidestep the major obstacle in the Brexit divorce talks — the Irish land border.

It achieved that by shifting regulatory and customs checks and processes to the Irish Sea.

The arrangements have created new economic barriers on goods moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

This has caused disruption to many businesses in Northern Ireland and has also created a major political headache for the government, as unionists and loyalists are furious at what they perceive as a weakening of the union. – Additional reporting by PA

The Irish Times

The Irish Times online. Latest news including sport, analysis, business, weather and more from the definitive brand of quality news in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/

German ex-soldiers arrested on terrorism charges - What were their motives? - DW News.

German ex-soldiers arrested on terrorism charges - What were their motives? - DW News.

Authorities in Germany have arrested two former soldiers on terrorism charges. Federal prosecutors accuse the men of attempting to 'form a mercenary group' to fight in Yemen. Prosecutors say the plot involved former soldiers and police officers. T...

Travis Tritt won't play in venues that enforce mandates.

Travis Tritt won't play in venues that enforce mandates.

Country star talks to Tucker after fans reach out to him with concern #tucker #foxnews Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encompassing news service delivering brea...

1 24920

Live: Boris Johnson answers PMQs amid rising covid cases.

Live: Boris Johnson answers PMQs amid rising covid cases.

Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Sajid Javid and the government’s scientific advisers are awaiting Wednesday's coronavirus numbers with increasing concern as the U.K.’s cases, hospitalizations and deaths all now appear to be rising — while Britain’...

Agency Helps Kenya’s Returning Abused Workers Reintegrate.

Agency Helps Kenya’s Returning Abused Workers Reintegrate.

Laborers from Kenya say they have endured abuse in the Middle East, often at the hands of their employers Originally published at -

Tucker: UFOs need to be taken seriously

Tucker: UFOs need to be taken seriously

Journalist Tom Rogan joins 'Tucker Carlson Tonight' to reveal the connection between UFOs and nuclear weaponry. #FoxNews #TuckerCarlsonTonight Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is...

BREAKING: Newcastle United sack Steve Bruce

BREAKING: Newcastle United sack Steve Bruce

Newcastle United's new Saudi owners have sacked head coach Steve Bruce. He was expected to be replaced after a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium recently completed a £305m takeover of the club. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos: Follo...