US Pullout From Afghanistan Over 90% Complete: Pentagon.

US Pullout From Afghanistan Over 90% Complete: Pentagon

US has withdrawn more than 90 per cent of its personnel from Afghanistan. (Representational)

Washington, United States:

The withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan is more than 90 percent completed, the Pentagon's Central Command announced Tuesday.

CentCom said it had officially handed over seven former US bases to the Afghan security forces and had evacuated the equivalent of nearly 1,000 C-17 air freighter loads of equipment from the country, ahead of the September deadline to complete the pullout.

On Friday US forces handed over the sprawling Bagram air base north of Kabul, the main center of US military operations in the country for most of the past two decades of conflict.

Tuesday's announcement underscored that most of the process of withdrawing US military and civilian personnel ordered by President Joe Biden in April had been completed.

At the time of Biden's order there were officially 2,500 US troops and 16,000 private contractors.

According to reports there were also some 1,000 US special forces operating in Afghanistan at the time as well not included in the official tally.

While Biden had set a deadline of September -- the 20th anniversary of the Afghan-based Al-Qaeda attack on the United States that sparked the American invasion of the country -- the Pentagon has moved quickly to reduce its presence to a minimum this month.

"We expect it to be completed by the end of August," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Friday after the Bagram handover.

The United States is expected to keep a reported 650 or more military personnel in the country to protect the US embassy and diplomats.

NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

Related news
Covid-19 UK: Govt 'increasingly confident' more countries will move to green travel lists.

Covid-19 UK: Govt 'increasingly confident' more countries will move to green travel lists.

Coronavirus latest: MORE countries will go onto the green list next week as Britain is set to open up to other "high trust" foreigners, according to the Foreign Secretary. Dominic Raab said he was "increasingly positive" that more countries would ...

Sick migrants cross southern border exhibiting COVID symptoms.

Sick migrants cross southern border exhibiting COVID symptoms.

Fox News contributor Sara Carter joins 'Hannity' with the latest on the border crisis  #FoxNews #Hannity Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encompassing news servi...

1 428

Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles thanks 'outpouring of love & support' after pulling out.

Tokyo Olympics: Simone Biles thanks 'outpouring of love & support' after pulling out.

America's superstar gymnast Simone Biles has thanked supporters after pulling out of two events at the Tokyo Olympics to focus on her mental health. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos: Follow us on Twitter: Like us on Facebook: Follo...

Left remains silent on prominent Democrat donor's criminal conviction.

Left remains silent on prominent Democrat donor's criminal conviction.

Ed Buck was convicted in overdose deaths of two black men; Organizer of protests in Ed Buck's case Jasmyne Cannick reacts on 'Fox News Primetime.' #FoxNews #FoxNewsPrimetime Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel ...

Dozens still missing in Germany two weeks after floods - DW News.

Dozens still missing in Germany two weeks after floods - DW News.

Two weeks after the devastating floods in western Germany, the disaster is far from over. People are only slowly working their way through dealing with what the flood has left behind: bulks of mud and piles of rubbish. Dozens of people are still m...

Moment jewel thief swaps £4.2m of diamonds for pebbles in Ocean’s Eleven con

Moment jewel thief swaps £4.2m of diamonds for pebbles in Ocean’s Eleven con

THIS is the moment a 60-year-old jewel thief swapped diamonds worth £4.2million for PEBBLES in an Ocean's Eleven-style con - before blaming her dead sister for the heist. Lulu Lakatos, 60, who has now been convicted of the biggest jewellery shop c...