Covid-19: Australia’s Victoria declares state of disaster and imposes curfew.

A state of disaster was declared in Australia’s Victoria on Sunday, with the local government implementing a night curfew as part of its harshest movement restrictions to date to contain the coronavirus.

State Premier Daniel Andrews said that the new restrictions, to be in place for six weeks until mid-September, will allow only one person per household to go shopping once a day.

Melbournians will not be able to go further than five kilometres (three miles) from home.

Movement restrictions and business operations would also be limited in the rest of the state, but not to the same level as in Melbourne.

Australia’s government expressed support on Sunday for the strictest social-distancing measures yet by the state of Victoria in an effort to contain the new coronavirus.

The backing by the federal government, ruled by a Liberal Party-led coalition, for the measures by Victoria’s Labor Party government shows national unity of message across the political spectrum in the country.

Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest city, is already under a reimposed six-week stay-home order, but it has been struggling to rein in Covid-19. Record numbers of new infections of the virus that causes the disease were reported last week, prompting warnings of further restrictions.

The state reported more than 650 infections on Sunday, up from 397 cases Saturday, ABC News television reported, citing unnamed sources.

Australia has fared far better than many other countries in keeping the coronavirus from spreading, but at a high economic cost. It has recorded around 17,300 coronavirus cases and 200 Covid-19 deaths, but the recent surge in Victoria has proven difficult to contain.

Elswhere, the death toll in Latin America from coronavirus passed 200,000 on Saturday night, a Reuters tally showed, after Peru reported another 191 deaths from the pandemic.

In Hong Kong, seven Chinese health officials are due to arrive on Sunday, the first members of a 60-person team that will carry out widespread testing for coronavirus in the territory as the global financial hub races to halt a third wave of illness.

The initiative is the first time mainland health officials have assisted Hong Kong in its battle to control the coronavirus.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said on Saturday the former British colony asked for help from the central government due to the resurgence in cases. She said the government was studying whether everyone in Hong Kong could be tested, local broadcaster RTHK reported on Saturday.

However, some local residents fear China may use this as an excuse to collect DNA samples for surveillance purposes. – Reuters

Related news

Bolsonaro ‘led Brazilian people into a canyon’, ex-health minister says.

Mandetta accuses president of playing a ‘pivotal’ role in steering economy towards catastrophe

2 63

New Zealand Covid-19 outbreak grows as Australia still struggles.

NZ prime minister Jacinda Ardern is under pressure ahead of a upcoming general election

1

Biden-Harris: A force to be reckoned with

The Trump campaign has a battle on its hands as its confronts a Biden-Harris ticket

Covid-19: Spain closes nightclubs and limits smoking; Paris declared a high-risk zone.

World updates: EU agrees to buy at least 300 million doses of potential vaccine

2 158

Trump trying to ‘kneecap’ postal service in voting row.

Obama urges protection of US poll integrity as president fuels ‘birther’ idea around Harris

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies