At Least 5 Iraqi Civilians Killed In Anti-US Rocket Attack.

NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

At Least 5 Iraqi Civilians Killed In Anti-US Rocket Attack

Three Iraqi children and two women from the same family were killed Monday. (Representational)

Baghdad, Iraq:

Three Iraqi children and two women from the same family were killed Monday when a rocket targeting Baghdad airport, where US troops are stationed, fell instead on their home, the army said.

The latest in a string of attacks targeting American interests in Iraq, it came after Washington threatened to close its embassy and withdraw its 3,000 troops from the country unless the rockets stop.

Attacks over the past year have caused relatively few casualties, and Monday's incident was notable for the number of civilians killed.

The army said it also wounded two children.

Twitter accounts supporting US arch-enemy Iran regularly praise the attacks, but that was not the case Monday, when no group immediately claimed responsibility.

Half a dozen previously unheard-of factions have claimed similar attacks in recent months, under the banner of "Islamic resistance" against the "American occupier".

But experts say they are a smokescreen, and that they include former members of pro-Iranian factions of the Hashed al-Shaabi paramilitary alliance, a state-sponsored network close to Tehran.

The deaths of civilians could put the group responsible in an uncomfortable position with a public exhausted by years of violence by various armed groups.

The Iraqi army on Monday accused "criminal gangs and groups of outlaws" of seeking to "create chaos and terrorise people".

Between October and July, at least 39 rocket attacks targeted US interests in Iraq. Almost the same number again have taken place since.

In total, four soldiers -- two British, one Iraqi and one American -- along with a US and an Iraqi contracter have been killed in the attacks, while several civilians have been wounded.

Iraqi intelligence sources have blamed the attacks on a small group of hardline Iran-backed paramilitary factions.

- 'Honeymoon is over' -

Senior American officers today see pro-Iran armed groups as a greater threat than the Islamic State jihadist group, that once held a third of Iraq.

Washington has demanded that Baghdad take decisive action.

But Iraq must play a delicate balancing act with US influence and that of neighbouring Iran, which arms, finances and supports various armed Shiite factions.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Iraqi President Barham Saleh this month and threatened to close the American embassy in Baghdad, Iraqi and foreign officials told AFP.

That was seen as a new blow to premier Mustafa al-Kadhemi, who took office as prime minister in May.

While he is seen as western-leaning, US officials have accused him of not doing enough against pro-Iran groups.

One Iraqi official told AFP: "The honeymoon is over."

The American ultimatum was followed by threats of sanctions against senior political and military figures.

Populist Shiite cleric and politician Moqtada Sadr has since called for a commission of inquiry into the rocket attacks, a proposal backed by Kadhemi.

The Hashed paramilitary alliance has dismissed several commanders accused of links to attacks on western interests, while denying responsibility for the acts of groups claiming Hashed links and "carrying out illegal military acts against foreign interests".

But more hardline groups have stepped up the anti-US rhetoric.

One western official told AFP on condition of anonymity: "If Washington follows through and withdraws its people, these groups will be able to brag that they kicked the Americans out of Iraq at little cost.

Comments

Related news

Third Man Detained Over Deadly Church Attack In France's Nice: Report.

A third man has been detained for questioning in connection with the knife attack on a church in the southern French city of Nice which left three people dead, a legal source said Saturday.

COVID-19 Antibody Therapy May Lower Hospitalisations, Finds Study.

COVID-19 patients who were administered a novel antibody had fewer symptoms and were less likely to require hospitalisation or emergency medical care than those who did not receive the therapy,...

Ahead Of US Polls, Facebook Suspends Political, New Group Recommendations.

Facebook Inc confirmed on Friday it was temporarily halting recommendations for all political groups and any new groups in the run-up to Tuesday's U.S. presidential election.

From Pakistan To Bangladesh, Protests Flare Up Against France.

France stepped up security nationwide on Friday to guard against Islamist attacks after the fatal stabbings at a church in Nice, while protests flared in parts of the Middle East, Asia and Africa over...

Stronger Response Needed Against Virus, Canada PM Hopes To Avoid Shutdown.

Canadians need to do more to tackle a second wave of the coronavirus by slashing the number of personal contacts they have with others, health authorities said on Friday.

Philippines Orders 2,00,000 To Evacuate As Typhoon Goni Nears.

More than 200,000 people in the Philippines were ordered to evacuate their homes Saturday as the most powerful typhoon of the year so far barrels towards the country, with authorities warning of...

1 18

Death toll from Turkey-Greece earthquake now 26 as rescuers comb through rubble.

The earthquake, which the Istanbul-based Kandilli Institute said had a magnitude of 6.9, was centred in the Aegean northeast of Samos.

Kamala Harris: On The Cusp Of US Election History

Kamala Harris is on the verge of what would be a double-dream for US Democrats: becoming the nation's first woman vice president and ending Donald Trump's turbulent rule.

1 3

Health workers slam Trump’s ‘malicious’ claim doctors profiting from coronavirus deaths.

Trump has made the false claim that American doctors and hospitals make extra money by declaring deaths as related to COVID-19 twice in the past week.

Harvey Weinstein Sued By Woman He Was Convicted Of Sexually Assaulting.

Harvey Weinstein was sued on Friday by the former production assistant who the disgraced movie producer was convicted at trial of having sexually assaulted.

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies