Ancient Statues Emerge From The Shadows In Blockbuster Rome Show.

NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

Ancient Statues Emerge From The Shadows In Blockbuster Rome Show

A statue from the "Torlonia Marbles" is seen during an exhibition (Reuters)

Rome:

After decades locked away in a basement, some of the finest sculptures from antiquity have been pulled from the gloom and returned to public view in Rome.

Busts of Roman emperors, intricate sarcophagi and an ancient Greek relief carved 2,500 years ago are just some of the 92 pieces on display in the city's Palazzo Caffarelli.

The marbles belong to the aristocratic Torlonia family and represent a fraction of their 620 sculptures, believed to be the largest such private collection in the world.

"We could do seven, eight, 15 more exhibitions," said art historian Salvatore Settis, who was picked by the family to help curate the show and had the difficult task of deciding which works should see the light of day.

Like many leading Rome families, the Torlonias initially put their huge collection on display in a museum. But after 101 years, they locked its doors in 1976, looking to convert the building into private apartments.

"The reappearance of such a legendary collection is a very important event," said Settis. "When I saw them for the first time it was very emotional because I knew most of those pieces from books, but I had never seen them."

The Torlonias, who built their wealth off the back of papal contracts, snapped up established collections, some dating back to the 15th century, and built up a collection of collections.

Among the pieces on view is a fountain basin carved in ancient Greece that was believed to have stood in the garden of Julius Caesar when it was already considered an antiquity.

Many of the works have undergone substantial restoration over the years, including a statue of a goat whose body dates to the first century AD but whose head is believed to have been created by the famed 17th century Italian sculptor Bernini.

Anna Maria Carruba helped prepare the statues for the exhibition.

"Many of these pieces were already restored from 1600 onwards. We didn't need to work on the structure of the statues but only on the surfaces, cleaning them, removing the dust that had accumulated over the years and materials used in previous restorations," she said.

The "Torlonia Marbles" show had been due to open in April, but was pushed back because of the coronavirus. It runs in Rome until June 2021 and is expected to move on to at least one other European country and the United States before returning to Italy where it will be given a permanent home.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Comments

Related news

Third Man Detained Over Deadly Church Attack In France's Nice: Report.

A third man has been detained for questioning in connection with the knife attack on a church in the southern French city of Nice which left three people dead, a legal source said Saturday.

COVID-19 Antibody Therapy May Lower Hospitalisations, Finds Study.

COVID-19 patients who were administered a novel antibody had fewer symptoms and were less likely to require hospitalisation or emergency medical care than those who did not receive the therapy,...

Ahead Of US Polls, Facebook Suspends Political, New Group Recommendations.

Facebook Inc confirmed on Friday it was temporarily halting recommendations for all political groups and any new groups in the run-up to Tuesday's U.S. presidential election.

From Pakistan To Bangladesh, Protests Flare Up Against France.

France stepped up security nationwide on Friday to guard against Islamist attacks after the fatal stabbings at a church in Nice, while protests flared in parts of the Middle East, Asia and Africa over...

Stronger Response Needed Against Virus, Canada PM Hopes To Avoid Shutdown.

Canadians need to do more to tackle a second wave of the coronavirus by slashing the number of personal contacts they have with others, health authorities said on Friday.

Philippines Orders 2,00,000 To Evacuate As Typhoon Goni Nears.

More than 200,000 people in the Philippines were ordered to evacuate their homes Saturday as the most powerful typhoon of the year so far barrels towards the country, with authorities warning of...

1 18

Death toll from Turkey-Greece earthquake now 26 as rescuers comb through rubble.

The earthquake, which the Istanbul-based Kandilli Institute said had a magnitude of 6.9, was centred in the Aegean northeast of Samos.

Kamala Harris: On The Cusp Of US Election History

Kamala Harris is on the verge of what would be a double-dream for US Democrats: becoming the nation's first woman vice president and ending Donald Trump's turbulent rule.

1 3

Health workers slam Trump’s ‘malicious’ claim doctors profiting from coronavirus deaths.

Trump has made the false claim that American doctors and hospitals make extra money by declaring deaths as related to COVID-19 twice in the past week.

Harvey Weinstein Sued By Woman He Was Convicted Of Sexually Assaulting.

Harvey Weinstein was sued on Friday by the former production assistant who the disgraced movie producer was convicted at trial of having sexually assaulted.

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies