ICC prosecutor seeks full inquiry into Philippines drug war killings.

The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court asked it on Monday for authorisation to open a full investigation into drug war killings in the Philippines, saying crimes against humanity may have been committed.

According to Philippines government data, from the time president Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016 until the end of April this year, security forces killed 6,117 drug dealers in sting operations.

Rights groups say authorities have summarily executed drug suspects, but police say drug dealers fought back violently.

“I announce that the preliminary examination into the situation in the Republic of the Philippines has concluded and that I have requested judicial authorisation to proceed with an [formal criminal] investigation,” ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said in a statement.

Ms Bensouda had said last December that there were reasonable grounds to believe crimes against humanity had been committed during Mr Duterte’s bloody anti-narcotics crackdown, whose death toll has stirred international outrage.

In an address recorded this week before the news of Ms Bensouda’s request broke, Mr Duterte called on human rights organisations to take a closer look into his war on drugs.

“You would notice that there are really persons who die almost daily because they fought back,” he said, warning drug dealers: “Do not destroy the country. I will kill you.”

The Philippines justice ministry declined to comment on the announcement from the ICC in The Hague.

Ms Bensouda, in concluding her preliminary inquiry in December last year, said there was a “reasonable basis to believe that the crimes against humanity of murder, torture (...) and other inhumane acts were committed” between 2016 and 2019.

Many people killed in Mr Duterte’s crackdown had been on a drug watch list compiled by authorities or had previously surrendered to police, while a significant number of minors were victims, Ms Bensouda’s office said in a report six months ago.

Human rights groups accuse Mr Duterte of inciting deadly violence and say police have murdered unarmed suspects and staged crime scenes on a massive scale. Police deny this and Mr Duterte insists he told police to kill only in self-defence.

Under the ICC statute, the prosecutor must ask judges for permission to open an official investigation into alleged crimes. The tribunal’s judges have up to four months to issue a decision on such a request.

In March 2018, Mr Duterte cancelled the Philippines’ membership of the ICC’s founding treaty just weeks after Ms Bensouda announced the preliminary examination was under way. He said the ICC was prejudiced against him.

Under the ICC’s withdrawal mechanism the court keeps jurisdiction over crimes committed during the membership period of a state, in this case between 2016 and 2019 when the Philippines’ pullout became official. – Reuters

The Irish Times

The Irish Times online. Latest news including sport, analysis, business, weather and more from the definitive brand of quality news in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/

Jesse Watters: Did the FBI setup Gov. Gretchen Whitmer kidnapping plot?

Jesse Watters: Did the FBI setup Gov. Gretchen Whitmer kidnapping plot?

Journalist Glen Greenwald discusses the plot against Michigan governor on 'Watters' World' #FoxNews #JesseWatters Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encompassing n...

BREAKING: Team GB wins first medal of Tokyo Olympic Games.

BREAKING: Team GB wins first medal of Tokyo Olympic Games.

Team GB has won its first Olympic medal of the Tokyo Games after Chelsie Giles got bronze in the judo. Giles, 24, from Coventry, won the repechage against Switzerland's Fabienne Kocher in the -52kg category. She was given a shot at third place aft...

Vietnam on lockdown as COVID cases soar with 0.4% vaccinated - DW News

Vietnam on lockdown as COVID cases soar with 0.4% vaccinated - DW News

In Vietnam, the number of COVID-19 infections is soaring. After successfully containing outbreaks early in the pandemic, cases have skyrocketed since April. On Saturday, the capital Hanoi went into a 15-day lockdown, to try and curb the wave of in...

COVID-19: Premier League matches could be open only to the fully vaccinated.

COVID-19: Premier League matches could be open only to the fully vaccinated.

Large events such as Premier League games could be open only to fully vaccinated people from October under government plans. Talks are under way with the PL to discuss whether supporters who have not received both jabs could be barred from entry. ...

BREAKING: Savid Javid apologises for 'cower' tweet

BREAKING: Savid Javid apologises for 'cower' tweet

The health secretary has apologised for saying people should no longer 'cower from' coronavirus. Sajid Javid said he had deleted the tweet, which he posted on Saturday to say he had made a 'full recovery' a week after testing positive for COVID-19...

Should Vaccinated People Be Concerned About The Delta Variant?.

Should Vaccinated People Be Concerned About The Delta Variant?.

NBC News medical contributor Dr. Kavita Patel explains whether vaccinated people should resume wearing masks as the delta variant intensifies its spread across the U.S.» Subscribe to NBC News: » Watch more NBC video: NBC News Digital is a collecti...