On the May 24 afternoon, Ukraine’s Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Maliar reported that fighting decreased north and south of Bakhmut as Russians tried to strengthen the flanks while the Ukrainians were “ gradually advancing.”
“During the day, the intensity of fighting on the flanks in the suburbs of Bakhmut decreased. But this does not mean that the enemy is weakening. On the contrary, the enemy is trying to strengthen its flanks and relies on artillery fire, conducting constant fire attacks. At the same time, our troops manage to advance gradually,” she wrote.
Meanwhile, Bakhmut City saw a decrease in the number of Russian assaults as Russians were “replacing their units,” according to Maliar.
“Our defenders control some part of the ‘Airplane’ district in the southwestern part of the city,” she added referring to the city’s area around the destroyed monument to the MiG-17 aircraft at the southwestern entrance to the city.
- Fighting “slightly decreased” in Bakhmut as Ukraine holds its southwestern outskirts – Defense Ministry
- Ukraine continues to control westernmost part of Bakhmut – Defense Ministry
- Russo-Ukrainian War. Day 452: Russia’s Wagner claims Bakhmut
- Ukrainian forces keep advancing on flanks around Bakhmut
- Ukraine maintains control over small portion of Bakhmut – Ground Forces Commander
- Situation in Bakhmut City critical, Ukraine controls westernmost area – Deputy Defense Minister
You could close this page. Or you could join our community and help us produce more materials like this. We keep our reporting open and accessible to everyone because we believe in the power of free information. This is why our small, cost-effective team depends on the support of readers like you to bring deliver timely news, quality analysis, and on-the-ground reports about Russia's war against Ukraine and Ukraine's struggle to build a democratic society. A little bit goes a long way: for as little as the cost of one cup of coffee a month, you can help build bridges between Ukraine and the rest of the world, plus become a co-creator and vote for topics we should cover next. Become a patron or see other ways to support. Become a Patron!