China sentences ex-Interpol chief to 13 years in jail.

Meng Hongwei has admitted to taking more than $2 million in bribes.

REUTERS

REUTERS

A former Interpol chief accused of bribery was sentenced to 13-and-a-half years in jail by a Chinese court on Tuesday.

Meng Hongwei, who was the first Chinese head of Interpol, vanished on a trip back to the country from France in September 2018, the BBC reports.

China later confirmed he had been detained as part of President Xi Jinping's drive against corruption.

Meng has admitted to taking more than $2 million in bribes.

The 56-year-old was also ordered by the Tianjin No 1 Intermediate People's Court to pay a fine of two million yuan ($289,540).

The court statement said Meng would not appeal the verdict.

Read alsoInterpol elects Kim Jong Yang as its president

The Communist Party said Meng had abused his position for personal gain, misused state funds to finance his family's "extravagant lifestyle" and disregarded Communist Party principles.

He was expelled from the party and stripped of all government positions, according to the party's watchdog, the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI).

Meng admitted his guilt in a trial last year. His wife, who is currently living in France under political asylum, has said the charges against him are politically motivated.

Chinese President Xi has overseen a vast and ruthless anti-corruption campaign in which one million officials have been disciplined. Critics say this campaign has been used to great effect to silence some of his political rivals.

Related news

U.S. official who dealt with whistleblower complaint ‘disappointed’ after Trump fired him

Michael Atkinson is at least the seventh intelligence official to be fired, ousted or moved aside since last summer.

1 4

«Pearl Harbor Moment» : US Health Authorities Stark Warning For Next Week.

US governors on Sunday appealed to the White House for a national strategy against the fast-spreading coronavirus, as deaths surged and health authorities warned the coming week could resemble a...

«Global Surge In Domestic Violence» : UN Chief Amid Virus Lockdown.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres late Sunday urged governments around the world to consider protecting women as part of their response to the deadly novel coronavirus pandemic.

1.67 Million Tested For Coronavirus In US, Says Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump on Sunday said that at least 1.6 million people have been tested for the novel coronavirus in the United States and the results have been shared with those who took a test.

1 8

Trump «Hopeful And Sure» British PM Will Recover From Coronavirus.

US President Donald Trump on Sunday said he was "hopeful and sure" Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who was hospitalized for further coronavirus tests after testing positive, would recover from...

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies