NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

US Man Suspected Of Killing His 4 Kids. They Were All Under The Age Of 12

US Man Suspected Of Killing His 4 Kids. They Were All Under The Age Of 12

The accused is a security guard whose firearm licence had been cancelled, police said. (Representational)

New York:

A US man who allegedly shot and killed his four young children and their grandmother was being questioned by police on Monday.

The four children, who were all under the age of 12, were declared dead at the scene in the small town of Lancaster, near Los Angeles.

The children's grandmother, who was in her 50s, also died in the shooting on Sunday evening.

All five victims had gunshot wounds to their upper bodies, law enforcement officers said.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's office said Germarcus David, 29, had been arrested on suspicion of the multiple murders, and was being held on $2 million bail.

The Los Angeles Times reported that David is a security guard whose firearm licence had been cancelled.

The paper quoted a man named Waki Jones, who said he had been taking the two eldest of the children -- Amaya, 12, and Demarcus, aged nine -- to elementary school and daycare for several years.

"Amaya was a sweet girl...She was always protecting her brother, making sure he was safe at school," Jones told the paper.

"It's just unbelievable. I can't believe they're gone."

Gun violence is a huge problem in the United States, fueled by lax gun laws and an abundance of firearms, campaigners say.

Liberal attempts to restrict ownership are frustrated by a powerful minority in the pro-gun lobby, who point to the 2nd amendment to the US constitution which provides for the right to bear arms.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Related news
Police lift SUV to rescue 70-year-old woman trapped underneath #Shorts.

Police lift SUV to rescue 70-year-old woman trapped underneath #Shorts.

#Shorts POLICE officers lift an SUV with their bare hands to free a 70-year-old woman who was trapped underneath the vehicle on January 19. Officers from the New Castle County Police lifted the vehicle after discovering the woman with her left arm...

Hilton: Economy 'historically bad' despite Biden admin's spin.

Hilton: Economy 'historically bad' despite Biden admin's spin.

'The Next Revolution' host Steve Hilton and Fox News contributor Jason Chaffetz discuss the 'political spin' from the White House about the economy. Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (F...

The Daily Climate Show: Alok Sharma on North Sea gas extraction.

The Daily Climate Show: Alok Sharma on North Sea gas extraction.

On today’s show, Alok Sharma tells Sky News that drilling in the North Sea is not the answer to the energy crisis. Plus, we have the latest from California where unusual winter wildfires are raging. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos...

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope reaches orbit nearly 1 million miles away.

NASA's James Webb Space Telescope reaches orbit nearly 1 million miles away.

Thirty days after launch, NASA's James Webb Space Telescope is going into orbit nearly 1 million miles from Earth. After a series of adjustments and calibrations it will be ready to begin exploring the most distant stars and galaxies in the univer...

Treasury minister Lord Agnew quits over government failures on Covid frauds.

Treasury minister Lord Agnew quits over government failures on Covid frauds.

A MINISTER has resigned from the Government over how it has handled fraudulent Covid business loans. Lord Agnew of Oulton confirmed his intention to quit his posts while speaking at the despatch box in the House of Lords. Read more: Boris Johnson ...

Ex-Pope Benedict XVI admits false statement during abuse probe testimony - DW News.

Ex-Pope Benedict XVI admits false statement during abuse probe testimony - DW News.

Former Pope Benedict XVI has apologized for providing false information during a probe into sexual abuse in his old Munich archdiocese, his secretary said in a statement on Monday that was posted to the Vatican News portal. The statement, which wa...