North Korea unveils ‘monster’ intercontinental ballistic missile at parade.

North Korea unveiled previously unseen intercontinental ballistic missiles at an unprecedented pre-dawn military parade on Saturday that showcased the country’s long-range weapons for the first time in two years.

Analysts said the missile, which was shown on a transporter vehicle with 11 axles, would be one of the largest road-mobile intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) in the world if it becomes operational.

“This missile is a monster,” said Melissa Hanham, deputy director of the Open Nuclear Network.

A screen grab taken from a KCNA broadcast shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivering a speech ahead of a military parade on Kim Il Sung square in Pyongyang on Saturday. Photograph KCNA via KNS/AFP/Getty

A screen grab taken from a KCNA broadcast shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivering a speech ahead of a military parade on Kim Il Sung square in Pyongyang on Saturday. Photograph KCNA via KNS/AFP/Getty

Also displayed were the Hwasong-15, which is the longest-range missile ever tested by North Korea, and what appeared to be a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM).

Ahead of the parade, which was held to mark the 75th anniversary of the founding of its ruling Workers’ Party, officials in South Korea and the United States said Kim Jong Un could use the event to unveil a new “strategic weapon” as promised earlier this year.

A senior US administration official called the display of the ICBM “disappointing” and called on the government to negotiate to achieve a complete denuclearisation.

The parade featured North Korea’s ballistic missiles for the first time since Kim began meeting with international leaders, including US president Donald Trump, in 2018.

“We will continue to build our national defence power and self-defensive war deterrence,” Kim said, but vowed that the country’s military power would not be used pre-emptively. He made no direct mention of the United States or the now-stalled denuclearisation talks.

Kim blamed international sanctions, typhoons, and the coronavirus for preventing him from delivering on promises of economic progress.

“I am ashamed that I have never been able to repay you properly for your enormous trust,” he said. “My efforts and devotion were not sufficient to bring our people out of difficult livelihoods.”

The video showed Kim make an appearance as a clock struck midnight. Dressed in a grey suit and tie, he waved to the crowd and accepted flowers from children while surrounded by military officials in Pyongyang’s recently renovated Kim Il Sung Square.

Kim spoke for nearly half an hour, often visibly sweating despite the cool morning air, shedding tears when thanking the troops, and smiling and laughing as he watched the missiles.

The parade was highly choreographed, with thousands of troops marching in formation, displays of new conventional military equipment including tanks, and fighter jets launching flares and fireworks.

Experts said that the new, larger ICBM is likely designed to carry multiple independent re-entry vehicles (MIRVs), allowing it to attack more targets and making interception more difficult.

The Hwasong-12 intercontinental ballistic missiles during the military parade. Photograph KCNA via KNS/AFP/Getty

The Hwasong-12 intercontinental ballistic missiles during the military parade. Photograph KCNA via KNS/AFP/Getty

The new ICBM is likely intended to dispel doubts about North Korea’s ability to strike the continental United States, and an implicit threat that they are preparing to test the larger missile, said Markus Garlauskas, a former US intelligence officer for North Korea.

“If the Hwasong-15 could carry a ‘super-large’ nuclear warhead to anywhere in the US, then the natural question is what can this larger missile carry?,” he said.

Coronavirus

Kim became visibly emotional as he thanked the troops for their sacrifice in responding to natural disasters and preventing a corovonavirus outbreak.

He said he was grateful that not a single North Korean had tested positive for the disease, an assertion that South Korea and the United States have previously questioned.

While attendees at other celebratory events were shown wearing masks, no one at the parade appeared to be wearing them.

Kim said he hoped that North and South Korea would join hands again when the global coronavirus crisis is over.

South Korean officials said this week that Kim could use the event as a “low intensity” show of power ahead of the US presidential election on November 3rd, as denuclearisation talks with Washington have stalled. - Reuters

Related news

Nigerian president calls for end to street protests as violence escalates in Lagos.

Soldiers and police are accused of killing at least 12 protesters on Wednesday

Boris Johnson admits UK’s test-and-trace system must improve.

Only 15% of tests coming back within 24 hours and many close contacts not being reached

Coronavirus exposes lack of power exerted by England’s regions.

London Letter: Burnham stands up to capital and warns of north being pushed around

Amy Coney Barrett nears US supreme court after committee approval.

Democrats boycott vote and place posters on seats to protest potential healthcare changes

Hariri returns as Lebanon’s prime minister as political instability continues.

Clashes erupt in Beirut after president’s nominee secures narrow backing of parliament

French teacher’s killer ‘was in contact with jihadist in Syria’.

Seven people, including two schoolchildren, have been charged over Samuel Paty’s death

Maxwell denied seeing Epstein involved in ‘inappropriate underage activities’.

Court releases deposition of British socialite who is charged with helping financier groom girls

‘I will shoot you’: German politicians hit with Covid hate mail.

Restrictions devised to protect public health draw stream of insults from furious citizens

Poland to have almost total abortion ban after court ruling.

Women’s rights group calls ruling on foetal defects ‘a devastating sentence’

Covid-19: Czechs enter new lockdown amid fears health system will collapse.

Slovakia plans mass testing as coronavirus surge strains central and eastern Europe

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies