Tokyo Olympics chief to resign this week over sexist remark, sources say.

Click to play video 'Tokyo Games organizers say no objections from Olympic partners despite COVID-19 concerns'

Tokyo Games organizers say no objections from Olympic partners despite COVID-19 concerns – Jan 28, 2021

The president of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics organizing committee, Yoshiro Mori, will resign over a sexist remark that sparked an outcry, two sources said on Thursday, while the former prime minister said he could not let the controversy drag on.

Mori’s resignation would be bound to raise new doubts over the viability of holding the postponed Games this year.

The sources, who have knowledge of the matter, said Mori would be replaced by former Japan Football Association president and mayor of the Olympic village, Saburo Kawabuchi.

Mori made the sexist remark — that women talk too much — at a Japanese Olympic Committee board meeting early this month, setting off a storm of criticism at home and abroad.

Mori, 83, told Nippon TV he would “explain his thoughts” at a meeting on Friday but he had to deal with the issue. He did not confirm the reports that he would step down.

“I cannot let this problem prolong any longer,” Mori said, and he again apologized for the remark.

A spokesman for the organizing committee declined to comment.

Mori first retracted the comment about women at a hastily called news conference on Feb. 4, acknowledging it was inappropriate and against the Olympic spirit.

But he declined, at that time, to resign.

Trending Stories

Pressed then on whether he really thought women talked too much, Mori said: “I don’t listen to women that much lately, so I don’t know.”

Mori served as prime minister for a gaffe-plagued year from April 2000.

His comment on women drew sharp criticism in parliament, where opposition lawmakers demanded his resignation, and from the public on social media.

Vaccination drive ahead of Games

The 2020 Tokyo Games were postponed for a year because of the novel coronavirus and the pandemic is still creating huge questions about their viability, even though the government has said it is determined the July 23-Aug 8 Games go ahead.

Even before last year’s postponement, ballooning costs and a plagiarism scandal involving the official logo bedeviled preparations.

But the coronavirus has proven to be the biggest threat.

Nearly 80% of the public are opposed to holding the Games this year because of concern about the coronavirus, recent polls show.

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has said coronavirus vaccines are key to a safe Olympics and he said on Wednesday the vaccination drive would begin in the middle of next week.

Japan’s vaccination campaign is later than in most major economies and any delay could sow doubts about a government aim to secure enough doses for everyone before the Olympics.

If Mori does step down, it would the first time an Olympics organizing committee president has not seen the job through to a Summer Games since the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki led the successful Athens bid but was pushed aside by the government, which appointed Panagiotis Thomopoulos organizing committee president. Angelopoulos-Daskalaki replaced Thomopoulos after the International Olympic Committee warned Greece they could lose the Games because of poor progress with preparations.

Angelopoulos-Daskalaki was the first woman to run an organizing committee for an Olympics.

(Reporting by Elaine Lies and Takashi Umekawa; Writing by Robert Birsel; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

© 2021 Reuters

Global News

Breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

https://globalnews.ca/

Related news

Coronavirus Impact On Heart: What Researchers Say

Heart damage in COVID-19 patients is caused by the novel coronavirus infecting cardiac muscle cells, leading to cell death which interferes with the muscle's contraction, according to a study that may...

NDTV News

IN FULL: Former US president Donald Trump hints at 2024 run in first speech since losing Presidency.

IN FULL: Former US president Donald Trump hints at 2024 run in first speech since losing Presidency.

Watch live: Donald Trump makes his first public appearance since leaving the White House SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos: Follow us on Twitter: and Like us on Facebook: Follow us on Instagram: Sky News videos are now available in ...

Sky News Breakfast: Trump hints at 2024, Harry & Meghan chat to Oprah & Brazil variant.

Sky News Breakfast: Trump hints at 2024, Harry & Meghan chat to Oprah & Brazil variant.

On your Sky News Breakfast menu: - Former President Trump hints at running for the White House in 2024 - Minister defends UK's border control after Brazilian coronavirus "variant of concern" detected - Promo for Harry & Meghan's interview with Opr...

NATIONWIDE search for person with Brazilian Covid-19 variant  - Vaccines minister appeals for help.

NATIONWIDE search for person with Brazilian Covid-19 variant - Vaccines minister appeals for help.

A NATIONWIDE search is underway on Monday for a mystery person infected with the Brazilian variant of Coronavirus, which ministers have branded a "concern" because it may be more resistant to vaccines. Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said a massiv...

Trump asks, ‘do you miss me yet?’ as he calls for GOP unity.

Trump asks, ‘do you miss me yet?’ as he calls for GOP unity.

Former President Donald Trump asked the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) crowd 'do you miss me yet?' as they cheered on Sunday. Taking the stage for the first time since leaving office, Donald Trump called for Republican Party unity...

Protesters in Myanmar defiant after deadly crackdown - DW News.

Protesters in Myanmar defiant after deadly crackdown - DW News.

Protests against the coup continue in Myanmar. On Sunday, police opened fire and made mass arrests to break up demonstrations. The number of fatalities were the highest single-day death toll among protesters since Suu Kyi was ousted in a February ...

WWII bomb detonated in Exeter - Homes left with blown-out windows.

WWII bomb detonated in Exeter - Homes left with blown-out windows.

HOMES located in the shadow of a World War II bomb detonated by military experts have been left with blown out windows and shocking structural damage. Huge shards of metal from the explosion landed on neighbouring properties and a specialist crane...