Clergyman In Pope Francis 's Residence Has Coronavirus: Reports.

Italian Clergyman In Pope Francis 's Residence Tested Positive For Coronavirus: Reports

Pope Francis has remained largely secluded at his residence (File)

Rome:

An Italian employee of the Holy See who lives in the same residence as Pope Francis was reported Thursday to have tested positive for COVID-19 and been hospitalised.

Several Italian newspapers with reputable sources in the Vatican said the clergyman has lived for years in Saint Martha's guest house.

Pope Francis has remained largely secluded at his residence since coming down with a cold at the end of last month.

The 83-year-old pontiff has a small apartment in the building and takes his meals there.

He also has private meetings there and occasionally moves to the Vatican library to record livestreamed messages to the world's 1.3 billion Catholics.

The La Stampa and Il Messagro newspapers said the unnamed person has been hospitalised in Rome and steps have been taken to disinfect the building.

La Stampa additionally reported that Pope Francis has been "eating alone in his room for some time" as a precaution.

"He spends much of his time in his apartment, and when he moves inside the residence, he keeps the necessary safe distances," La Stampa wrote.

Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni told AFP he could neither confirm nor deny the reports.

The official Vatican News website said the number of people infected in the city state has risen to four.

This includes one person who first tested positive on March 6.

"The new cases include an employee of the merchandise office and two employees of the Vatican Museums," the official news site said.

The Argentine-born pontiff has enjoyed a life of good health despite losing part of a lung as a young man and suffered from sciatica -- a nerve condition that causes pain in his hip.

Comments

Related news

Saudi Arabia announces ceasefire in Yemen amid COVID-19 pandemic.

In a statement carried by Saudi Arabia’s official state news agency, a Saudi military spokesman, Col. Turki al-Malki, said that the ceasefire would last two weeks and that it comes in response to U.N. calls to halt hostilities amid the coronavirus...

US Coronavirus Deaths Top 14,600, Second Highest In World Behind Italy.

U.S. deaths due to coronavirus topped 14,600 on Wednesday, the second highest reported number in the world behind Italy, according to a Reuters tally.

«Special Leave» For South Africa's Minister Who Violated Lockdown Rules.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa put the communications minister on "special leave" for two months on Wednesday and docked a month of her pay for breaking the rules of a countrywide lockdown by...

Nearly half a billion people may end up in poverty due to coronavirus crisis: report.

Under the most serious scenario - a 20% contraction in income - the number of people living in extreme poverty would rise by 434 million people to 922 million worldwide.

WHO Head Defends Handling Of Coronavirus Pandemic Against Trump Criticism.

The head of the World Health Organization gave a strident defence of his agency's handling of the coronavirus pandemic on Wednesday, in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's criticism and...

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies