NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

Former Libya Ruler Gaddafi's Son's Presidential Candidature Rejected.

Former Libya Ruler Gaddafi's Son's Presidential Candidature Rejected

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi was sentenced to death in absentia in 2015 for war crimes. (File)

Tripoli:

Libya's election commission said on Wednesday that Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of the former ruler and a major candidate in December's planned presidential election, was ineligible to run, compounding the turmoil surrounding the vote.

Gaddafi was one of 25 candidates the commission disqualified in an initial decision pending an appeals process that will ultimately be decided by the judiciary. Some 98 Libyans registered as candidates.

Disputes over the election rules, including the legal basis of the vote and who should be eligible to stand, threaten to derail an internationally backed peace process aimed at ending a decade of violent factional chaos.

The commission said Gaddafi was ineligible because he had been convicted of a crime. A Tripoli court sentenced him to death in absentia in 2015 for war crimes committed during the uprising against his late father Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.

He appeared in that trial by videolink from the town of Zintan, where he was being held by fighters who captured him as he tried to escape Libya after his father's overthrow. He has denied wrongdoing.

Two other well-known candidates, former premier Ali Zeidan and former parliament Nouri Abusahmain, were also excluded.

Some of the candidates approved by the commission, including likely frontrunners, have also been accused of possible violations by political rivals.

Interim prime minister Abdulhamid al-Dbeibah vowed not to run for president as a condition of taking on his present role, and did not stand down from it three months before the vote as is required by a contested election law.

Another prominent candidate, eastern commander Khalifa Haftar, is said to have US nationality, which could also rule him out. Many people in western Libya also accuse him of war crimes committed during his 2019-20 assault on Tripoli.

Haftar denies war crimes and says he is not a US citizen. Dbeibah has described as "flawed" the election rules issued in September by the parliament speaker Aguila Saleh, who is also a candidate.

UN Libya envoy Jan Kubis, who is stepping down from his post, told the UN Security Council on Wednesday that Libya's judiciary would make the final decision on the rules and on whether candidates were eligible.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

Related news
Democrats 'created' the debt limit problem: Marsha Blackburn - Fox News Rundown.

Democrats 'created' the debt limit problem: Marsha Blackburn - Fox News Rundown.

Multiple cases of the Omicron COVID-19 variant have now been recorded in the United States, causing many to question how the country would handle another potential outbreak. Tennessee Republican Senator Marsha Blackburn warns against letting the O...

Arthur Labinjo-Hughes’ monster stepmum scoffs junk food while six year old starves in hallway.

Arthur Labinjo-Hughes’ monster stepmum scoffs junk food while six year old starves in hallway.

EVIL Emma Tustin and Thomas Hughes scoffed McDonald’s and ice cream as Arthur Labinjo-Hughes starved in the hallway. Shocking CCTV footage obtained exclusively by The Sun shows the smiling couple relaxing on a sofa with the ices on a sweltering ho...

8 185

Rescued Condor Released Back Into the Wild in Bolivia.

Rescued Condor Released Back Into the Wild in Bolivia.

An Andean condor named "Inti" was released into its natural habitat by Bolivian authorities, Thursday, December 2. With the backdrop of Tunari national park, the condor left a wooden box and strolled around for a while before flying away. After be...

BREAKING: Republic of Ireland closes nightclubs over COVID-19 concerns.

BREAKING: Republic of Ireland closes nightclubs over COVID-19 concerns.

Ahead of Christmas, the Irish Government will close nightclubs while restaurants and bars will only be allowed to run table service. The restrictions come in from 7 December until 9 January. SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos: Follow...

Critics blame California's liberal policies for rampant crime.

Critics blame California's liberal policies for rampant crime.

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo, D, discusses spike in smash-and-grab robberies, thefts. Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encompassing news service delivering breaki...

German hospitals struggling amid fourth COVID-19 wave - DW News.

German hospitals struggling amid fourth COVID-19 wave - DW News.

Several German interior ministers on Friday called for better implementation of the country's new pandemic regulations as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations surge across the country. The new rules have been called a "lockdown for the unvaccinated...