Nazi guard deported from U.S. agrees to be questioned, German officials say

Click to play video 'Holocaust survivor recalls her experience at Auschwitz as 8-year-old'

WATCH: Holocaust survivor recalls her experience at Auschwitz as 8-year-old – Jan 27, 2020

A 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard deported from Tennessee has agreed to be questioned by German prosecutors as they re-examine whether there is enough evidence against him to bring charges, authorities said Monday.

Friedrich Karl Berger arrived Saturday in Frankfurt on a special flight from the U.S. after being ordered deported to his native Germany by a court in Memphis last year.

He was met by Hesse state police detectives at the airport and told them he would be willing to be questioned by investigators with a lawyer present, said Bernd Kolkmeier, spokesman for the Celle prosecutor’s office, which is handling the case.

Organizing counsel and ensuring they are up to speed on the facts will take time, however, so the earliest such an interview would take place would be next month, Kolkmeier said.

A U.S. immigration judge ordered Berger deported a year ago after finding that his “willing service as an armed guard of prisoners at a concentration camp where persecution took place” constituted assistance in Nazi-sponsored persecution.

The court found that Berger, who had been living in the U.S. since 1959, had served at a camp in Meppen, Germany, near the border with the Netherlands, which was a subcamp of the larger Neuengamme concentration camp near Hamburg.

It said during the winter of 1945, prisoners in Meppen were held in “atrocious” conditions and were exploited for outdoor forced labour, working “to the point of exhaustion and death.”

Berger admitted to American investigators that he served in Meppen as a guard for a few weeks near the end of the war but said he did not observe any abuse or killings. The Memphis court found, however, that Berger had helped guard prisoners during a forced evacuation that took nearly two weeks and claimed the lives of 70 people.

Trending Stories

Celle prosecutors shelved their initial investigation of him in December, however, saying they had been unable to refute his account. They’re now having another look, with him back on German soil, Kolkmeier said.

“Nothing has changed except that he is now in Germany and we can talk with him,” Kolkmeier said. “We can personally question him, which is naturally different than reading a transcript.”

Kolkmeier would not say whether Berger still had family in Germany nor where he was residing.

Berger, who was born in 1925 in the tiny northern town of Bargen, was serving in the German Navy when he was assigned to guard prisoners in Meppen in 1945, according to the Neuengamme Memorial’s website.

He served between Jan. 28, 1945 and April 4, 1945, as an auxiliary attached to the SS command of the camp, according to Celle prosecutors.

Berger is being investigated under a precedent established in 2011 with the conviction of former Ohio autoworker John Demjanjuk as an accessory to murder on allegations that he served as a guard at the Sobibor death camp in German-occupied Poland. Demjanjuk, who denied the allegations, died before his appeal could be heard.

German courts previously required prosecutors to justify charges by presenting evidence of a former guard’s participation in a specific killing, often a near-impossible task.

However, prosecutors successfully argued during Demjanjuk’s trial in Munich that helping a camp function by serving as a guard was enough to convict someone of accessory to murders committed there.

A federal court subsequently upheld the 2015 conviction of former Auschwitz guard Oskar Groening on the same reasoning.

Since the Demjanjuk conviction there have been a steady stream of new prosecutions and trials in Germany.

Earlier this month prosecutors charged a 100-year-old man on 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he served as a guard at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp outside Berlin, and a 95-year-old woman on 10,000 counts of accessory to murder on allegations she served as the secretary to the former SS commandant of the Stutthof camp.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Global News

Breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

https://globalnews.ca/

Related news

US Senate Passes Biden's $1.9 Trillion Covid Relief Bill

The Senate on Saturday passed President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief plan in a party-line vote after an all-night session that saw Democrats battling among themselves over jobless aid and...

NDTV News

Third monster 8.1 magnitude earthquake hits off NZ coast as people told to flee in tsunami warning

Third monster 8.1 magnitude earthquake hits off NZ coast as people told to flee in tsunami warning

NEW Zealand authorities have issued an urgent tsunami warning after a third massive earthquake rocked the country in the space of a few hours. Residents have been urged to flee inland to safety after the 8.1 magnitude quake struck off the Kermadec...

Kamala Harris remains silent on Cuomo sexual harassment allegations.

Kamala Harris remains silent on Cuomo sexual harassment allegations.

New York governor's accuser reported harassment to administration officials; FOX News' Bryan Llenas on 'Special Report.' #FoxNews Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour al...

Lawrence Jones: Democrats plan to rob you blind to line their own pockets.

Lawrence Jones: Democrats plan to rob you blind to line their own pockets.

Fox News Primetime host warns Americans to 'read the fine print' in latest voting bill. #FoxNews #FoxNewsPrimetime Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encompassing ...

Former Maryland police chief charged with attempted murder, arsons.

Former Maryland police chief charged with attempted murder, arsons.

David M. Crawford is facing more than a dozen attempted murder charges after he allegedly targeted a series of enemies in at least 12 arson cases going back a decade, according to officials.

Clean water emergency in Jackson, Mississippi - WNT.

Clean water emergency in Jackson, Mississippi - WNT.

Three weeks after winter storms and freezing weather, residents are still being warned to boil any water that comes out of their faucets. Some still do not have water at home. WATCH THE FULL EPISODE OF 'WORLD NEWS TONIGHT': WATCH OTHER FULL EPISOD...

Woman finds old photo in used book, mails it back to family - WNT.

Woman finds old photo in used book, mails it back to family - WNT.

Victoria Johnson came across an old family photo in a book she bought at a used bookstore and through the power of Twitter was able to mail the picture back to its rightful owners. WATCH THE FULL EPISODE OF 'WORLD NEWS TONIGHT': WATCH OTHER FULL E...

2 18