US Proceeding With Troops Cuts In Afghanistan By January: Top General.

US Proceeding With Troops Cuts In Afghanistan By January: Top General

US military is proceeding with order to slash troops in Afghanistan by mid-January, top general said

Washington:

The US military is proceeding with President Donald Trump's order to slash troops in Afghanistan to 2,500 by mid-January, the Pentagon's top general said Wednesday, calling the situation on the ground a "strategic stalemate."

Joint Chiefs Chairman General Mark Milley, who earlier appeared opposed to cuts on the estimated 4,500 US troops currently there, said the United States had been successful "to a large measure" at its original goal of hitting Al-Qaeda after the September 11, 2001 attacks.

The US went to Afghanistan in 2001, he said, "to ensure that Afghanistan never again became a platform for terrorists to strike against the United States.

"To a large measure, we have been, at least to date, successful in preventing that from happening again," Milley said in an online Brookings Institution forum.

"We believe that now after 20 years, two decades of consistent effort there we've achieved a modicum of success."

Milley said it has been clear for the past five to seven years that the situation on the ground has been a strategic stalemate, with neither Afghan government forces or Taliban insurgents able to defeat the other.

The only way that war could come to an end -- in a way that is aligned with US security needs -- he said, was through a negotiated settlement between Kabul and the Taliban.

With negotiations on a peace deal underway in Doha, he said, the Trump administration has decided to cut US troop levels -- which were at about 13,000 a year ago -- to 2,500 by January 15.

Newsbeep


At that level, he said, the US will hold "a couple" main bases and several smaller satellite bases in the country.

In early November, Trump fired defense secretary Mark Esper, who had resisted accelerating a troop withdrawal schedule, and replaced him with White House aide Chris Miller, who backs the drawdown plans.

"We're in the process of executing that decision right now," Milley said.

"What comes after that, that will be up to a new administration," he said, referring to President-elect Joe Biden, who will replace Trump in late January.

"We'll find that out on January 20 and beyond," Milley added.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

Related news
Live: White House Holds Press Briefing - NBC News

Live: White House Holds Press Briefing - NBC News

Dr. Anthony Fauci joins Press Secretary Jen Psaki for a briefing at the White House one day after President Joe Biden's inauguration. » Subscribe to NBC News: » Watch more NBC video: NBC News Digital is a collection of innovative and powerful news...

WorldView: Deadly gas explosion in Madrid; police chief removed in Philippines.

WorldView: Deadly gas explosion in Madrid; police chief removed in Philippines.

A gas explosion killed at least four people in central Madrid. Also, a police chief in the Philippines has been removed following a botched gang rape and murder investigation, and one of 22 trapped miners in China has reportedly died. Meanwhile, t...

Priti Patel announces fines of £800 for people attending house parties during lockdown.

Priti Patel announces fines of £800 for people attending house parties during lockdown.

Priti Patel has tonight announced fresh £800 fines for ANYONE attending illegal house parties - rising up to £6,400 for repeat offenders. The Home Secretary announced the tough crackdown on ravers holding banned parties during the national lockdow...

Jobless claims dip to 900,000 in final week of Trump administration.

Jobless claims dip to 900,000 in final week of Trump administration.

The number of Americans claiming unemployment for the first time dipped by 26,000 in the final week of the Trump administration to 900,000 jobless claims, according to data released Thursday by the Labor Department. Bankrate Washington bureau chie...

Biden signing new executive orders to address coronavirus pandemic.

Biden signing new executive orders to address coronavirus pandemic.

President Biden is signing 10 new executive orders to address the coronavirus pandemic on his first full day in office, one day after he reversed some of the Trump administration's agenda. CBS News senior White House and political correspondent Ed...

COVID-19: 'It's upsetting' - Coffins stacked high in German town ravaged by COVID.

COVID-19: 'It's upsetting' - Coffins stacked high in German town ravaged by COVID.

Hundreds of coffins are stacked on top of each other in the town of Meissen which has experienced one of the highest COVID-19 rates in Germany. Sky's Michelle Clifford sent this report. Sky News videos are now available in Spanish here/Los video d...