Iran says it will pay $150K to each family of Ukraine plane crash victims.

Click to play video 'Iran plane crash: Independent Canadian report finds flaws in Iran’s probe into downing of airliner'

WATCH: Independent Canadian report finds flaws in Iran's probe into downing of airliner – Dec 15, 2020

Iran’s cabinet has created a compensation fund to pay the families of the 176 victims of a Ukrainian passenger plane that was shot down by Iranian forces outside Tehran last January, the president announced Wednesday.

Iran will pay $150,000 for each victim, state TV reported, without specifying a timeline for the awards. The announcement comes as the families of victims prepare to mark the anniversary of the Jan. 8 crash and diplomats from nations that lost citizens push Iran for more co-operation on the investigation and compensation issues.

There was no immediate comment on Iran’s announcement from the five countries, including Canada, that are in talks with Iran about reparations.

Those killed included dozens of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and many others with ties to Canadian universities.

For days, Iran denied that its military was responsible for the downing of the plane. But with extensive evidence emerging from Western intelligence reports and international pressure building, Iran admitted that its military had mistakenly fired at the Ukrainian jetliner at a moment of heightened tension between Iran and the United States. Hostilities had reached a fever pitch the week before over the American drone strike that killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in Baghdad, raising fears of further violence in the region.

Western intelligence officials and analysts believe Iran shot down the aircraft with a Russian-made Tor system, known to NATO as the SA-15. Tehran blamed “human error” for the shoot-down, saying in a report released over the summer that those manning a misaligned surface-to-air missile battery wrongly identified the civilian flight as a threat and opened fire twice without getting approval from ranking officials.

Trending Stories

Canadian authorities allege that Iran has not disclosed all relevant evidence or provided satisfactory answers to a number of lingering questions, including the identities of those held responsible for the downing, the exact chain of events that led the Revolutionary Guard to open fire and the decision to leave Iranian airspace open to civilian traffic the same night that Iran launched a barrage of ballistic missiles at U.S. forces in Iraq.

The plane, a Boeing 737 operated by Ukraine International Airlines bound for the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv, was carrying 167 passengers and nine crew members from several countries, including 82 Iranians, 57 Canadians, 17 Swedes, 11 Ukrainians, four Afghans and four British citizens according to officials. The route was popular with those travelling onward to Canada.

For months, the governments of the five affected countries have demanded that Tehran accept “full responsibility” for the crash and pay compensation to the victims’ families in line with international agreements.

Iran, for its part, has sent mixed messages on the matter of compensation, with Gholamreza Soleimani, the head of the country’s main insurance agency, saying in October that Iran would refuse to pay awards because the jet was “insured by European companies.”

But other Iranian officials have promised to negotiate compensation with the five countries.

“A mistake has been made by us but the base of the compensation should be decided,” said Mohsen Baharvand, deputy to the foreign minister, in September. “We have told our Ukrainian colleagues that international regulations are our basis.”

The association representing the families of victims released a statement last week lambasting Iran’s compensation offer and demanding an independent and transparent investigation into the crash.

“The families are vigilant and will not sign any document,” the statement read. “The murderer cannot play the role of mourner.”

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Global News

Breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

https://globalnews.ca/

Related news
California lifts stay-at-home order, as support to recall Newsom hits over 1M.

California lifts stay-at-home order, as support to recall Newsom hits over 1M.

Former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer discusses Gov. Gavin Newsom's failings during the COVID-19 crisis, and comments on the timing of him lifting lockdown orders. #FoxNews Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel ...

BREAKING: Mandatory hotel quarantine plans expected 'today'.

BREAKING: Mandatory hotel quarantine plans expected 'today'.

Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi has told Sky News an announcement on mandatory hotel quarantine will be made later. It comes as concerns grow over new coronavirus variants entering the United Kingdom. Meanwhile Mr Zahawi said it was "far too early...

Senate receives impeachment article as Republicans are split on convicting Trump.

Senate receives impeachment article as Republicans are split on convicting Trump.

Some Republican senators have been speaking out against the historic second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump. “Nightline” speaks to Rep. Joe Neguse, one of the impeachment managers.

Live: Protesting Indian farmers mark Republic Day with massive tractor rally.

Live: Protesting Indian farmers mark Republic Day with massive tractor rally.

From Brexit breaking news to HD movie trailers, The Sun newspaper brings you the latest news videos and explainers from the UK and around the world. Become a Sun Subscriber and hit the bell to be the first to know Read The Sun: Like The Sun on Fac...

BREAKING: Jobless rate hits 5%

BREAKING: Jobless rate hits 5%

Over 200,000 people lost their jobs in the three months to November. Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) means the UK's unemployment rate has hit 5% for the first time since 2016. Read more here: SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for...

Media reports on Hunter Biden's breakfast while ignoring federal investigation.

Media reports on Hunter Biden's breakfast while ignoring federal investigation.

MSNBC highlights Hunter Biden's breakfast order while covering the Biden White House, but continues to fail to mention the federal investigation he is under; Raymond Arroyo reacts on 'The Ingraham Angle.' #FoxNews #Ingraham Subscribe to Fox News! ...