Britain’s Defense Secretary Ben Wallace has called on Germany to release Leopard 2 tanks for Ukraine after he confirmed that the UK would send 14 of its own Challenger 2 tanks, the first time a western nation has given its own heavy armor to Kyiv, The Guardian reports.
“There’s a debate in Germany at the moment about whether a tank is an offensive weapon or defensive weapon. Well, depends on what you’re using it for. If you’re using it to defend your country, I would wager that it is a defensive weapon system,” Wallace told British MPs.
The Guardian says analysts at the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) think tank believe Ukraine needs at least 100 western tanks to help it mount a successful spring offensive against Russia. There are over 2,300 Leopard 2 tanks available or in storage in 13 Nato countries, whereas there are only 227 Challenger 2 tanks in the British entire army.
- Rheinmetall can’t deliver Leopards earlier than 2024 to Ukraine even if Berlin approves delivery tomorrow
- UK to supply 14 Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine in “coming weeks,” followed by around 30 AS90 SPGs
- Already five countries ready to send Ukraine Leopard 2 tanks, waiting for Germany’s permission
- Ukrainian soldiers should be trained to operate Leopard tanks just in case, Chair of Bundestag’s Defense Committee suggests
- Poland to give Ukraine a company of Leopard 2 tanks as “part of an international coalition” – PAP
Ukraine needs independent journalism. And we need you. Join our community on Patreon and help us better connect Ukraine to the world. We’ll use your contribution to attract new authors, upgrade our website, and optimize its SEO. For as little as the cost of one cup of coffee a month, you can help build bridges between Ukraine and the rest of the world, plus become a co-creator and vote for topics we should cover next. Become a patron or see other ways to support. Become a Patron!