COVID-19 cases continue to surge across the United States. Now leaders in hotspots and the FDA are concerned if the holiday weekend will play a major role in the continuing spike in numbers. Beaches in some states across the nation were packed for the fourth of July weekend. However, some areas like Miami and parts of California shut down and banned large gatherings.
Both CBS News and The Hill cite American officials in their reports that the U.S. has submitted its withdrawal paperwork to United Nations Secretary General Antonio Gutteres.
In the midst of a pandemic, a Senior Administration official confirms to @CBSNews: US notice of withdrawal, effective July 6, 2021, has been submitted to the UN Secretary-General, who is the depository for the WHO.
— Paula Reid (@PaulaReidCBS) July 7, 2020
The CBS News report say the withdrawal will take effect on July 6, 2021, while the report from The Hill says it will take effect on Monday.
Scientists warn coronavirus could be airborne — What does this mean for Canadians?
WHO says ‘evidence emerging’ that coronavirus may be airborne
U.S. Democratic Senator Bob Menendez also tweeted that Congress has received that notification.
Congress received notification that POTUS officially withdrew the U.S. from the @WHO in the midst of a pandemic.
To call Trump’s response to COVID chaotic & incoherent doesn't do it justice. This won't protect American lives or interests—it leaves Americans sick & America alone.
— Senator Bob Menendez (@SenatorMenendez) July 7, 2020
The withdrawal follows through on a threat by U.S. President Donald Trump earlier this year and comes as the country continues to see tens of thousands of new coronavirus cases each day.
The death toll in that country exceeds 130,800 individuals.
Another 2.9 million have been infected, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
More to come.View link »
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.