Over 22,000 Afghan Families Flee From Kandahar, Once A Bastion Of Taliban.

Over 22,000 Afghan Families Flee From Kandahar, Once A Bastion Of Taliban
Kandahar:

More than 22,000 Afghan families have fled from their homes to escape fighting in the former Taliban bastion of Kandahar, officials said Sunday, as authorities arrested four suspected insurgents over this week's rocket attack on Kabul.

Since early May, violence has surged across several provinces including in Kandahar after the insurgents launched a sweeping offensive just days after the US-led foreign forces began their final withdrawal.

The Taliban's deadly assault has seen the insurgents capture scores of districts, border crossings and encircle several provincial capitals.

"The fighting has displaced 22,000 families in the past one month in Kandahar," Dost Mohammad Daryab, head of the provincial refugee department, told AFP.

"They have all moved from the volatile districts of the city to safer areas."

On Sunday, fighting continued on the outskirts of Kandahar city.

"The negligence of some security forces, especially the police, has made way for the Taliban to come that close," Lalai Dastageeri, deputy governor of Kandahar province, told AFP.

"We are now trying to organise our security forces."

Local authorities had set up four camps for the displaced people who are estimated to be about 154,000.

Kandahar resident Hafiz Mohammad Akbar said his house had been taken over by the Taliban after he fled.

"They forced us to leave... I am now living with my 20-member family in a compound with no toilet," said Akbar.

Fears of fighting to increase

Residents expressed concerns the fighting might increase in days ahead.

"If they really want to fight, they should go to a desert and fight, not destroy the city," said Khan Mohammad, who moved to a camp with his family.

"Even if they win, they can't rule a ghost town."

Kandahar, with its 650,000 inhabitants, is the second-largest city in Afghanistan after Kabul.

The southern province was the epicentre of the Taliban's regime when they ruled Afghanistan between 1996 to 2001.

Ousted from power in a US-led invasion in 2001 after the September 11 attacks, the Taliban have spearheaded a deadly insurgency that continues to this day.

Their latest offensive launched in early May has seen the group take control of half of the country's about 400 districts.

Earlier this week, the chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff General Mark Milley said the Taliban appear to have "strategic momentum" on the battlefield.

But global rights group Human Rights Watch said there were reports the Taliban were committing atrocities against civilians in areas they had captured, including in the town of Spin Boldak near the border with Pakistan they captured earlier this month.

"Taliban leaders have denied responsibility for any abuses, but growing evidence of expulsions, arbitrary detentions, and killings in areas under their control are raising fears among the population," said Patricia Grossman, associate Asia director at HRW said in a statement.

The authorities meanwhile announced they had arrested four men they said belonged to the Taliban, accusing them of carrying out this week's rocket attack on Kabul.

"A Taliban commander, Momin, along with his three other men, have been arrested. They all belong to the Taliban group," ministry spokesman Mirwais Stanikzai told reporters in a video message.

At least three rockets landed near the palace on Tuesday as President Ashraf Ghani and his top officials performed outdoor prayers to mark the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

The attack was however claimed by the jihadist Islamic State group.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

Related news
Women In Fire: Push To Recruit More Women As Firefighter Shortages Continue.

Women In Fire: Push To Recruit More Women As Firefighter Shortages Continue.

As firehouses are seeing a nationwide shortage, some are pushing to recruit more women as they make up less than 5% of career firefighters. NBC News' Julie Tsirkin reports. » Subscribe to NBC News: » Watch more NBC video: NBC News Digital is a col...

Sky News Breakfast - Fuel crisis grows

Sky News Breakfast - Fuel crisis grows

On Sky News Breakfast today, - Plans to ease the pressure at the pumps, Downing Street is expected to allow a temporary visa scheme for foreign HGV drivers - Sir Keir Starmer backtracks on plans to re-write the Labour Party rulebook ahead of this ...

1 30

Anthony Joshua: 'Biggest fight of the century'

Anthony Joshua: 'Biggest fight of the century'

Anthony Joshua prepares to defend his three world heavyweight boxing championship titles at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium, against Oleksandr Usyk. Watch the bout on Sky Sports Box Office. Read the full story here - SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel...

La Palma volcano: Firefighters retreat as eruption intensifies - DW News.

La Palma volcano: Firefighters retreat as eruption intensifies - DW News.

Volcanic activity on the Spanish island of La Palma has been intensifying again, prompting authorities to step up evacuations. And with ash clouds rising up to four kilometers high, flights have been canceled for the first time since the volcano b...

La Palma volcano spews smoke and lava as eruptions intensify.

La Palma volcano spews smoke and lava as eruptions intensify.

Smoke and lava poured from the Cumbre Vieja volcano on the Spanish island of La Palma on Saturday morning (September 25). Firefighters had pulled out of clean-up work in the town of Todoque on Friday as a new vent opened up in the flank of the vol...

Jan. 6 Capitol Riot Committee Issues Subpoenas To Top Trump Advisors

Jan. 6 Capitol Riot Committee Issues Subpoenas To Top Trump Advisors

The House committee investigating the January 6th Capitol attack issued their first subpoenas to advisors and allies of former President Trump. NBC News' Ali Vitali reports. » Subscribe to NBC News: » Watch more NBC video: NBC News Digital is a co...