Australia’s Queensland closes state border in attempt to stave off 2nd coronavirus wave.

WATCH: Cities in Australia, Philippines see new lockdown measures

Australia’s Queensland state on Wednesday said it would close its border with New South Wales state to hold back a second wave of COVID-19, while the country’s second-largest city Melbourne was set to shut most businesses from midnight.

A surge in coronavirus cases in Melbourne has forced the state of Victoria to impose a night curfew, tighten restrictions on people’s movements and order most businesses to stop trading from Wednesday night.

Other states are imposing new restrictions of their own to prevent any spillover form Victoria and an even bigger hit to the national economy, which has plunged into its first recession in nearly three decades.

Australia has withstood the pandemic much better than most other countries, with 18,729 cases and 232 deaths in a population of 25 million.

But Victoria, which accounts for about a quarter of the nation’s economy, has nearly two-thirds of Australia’s coronavirus cases and is expected to report more than 700 new infections on Wednesday, according to media reports.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, who has already shut her northeastern state’s border to Victorians, said travellers from New South Wales and the capital Canberra also would be barred from Saturday.

“We have seen that Victoria is not getting better, and we’re not going to wait for New South Wales to get worse. We need to act,” Palaszczuk said at a media conference in Brisbane.

After two months of no community transmission in the state, two travellers who returned to Queensland from Melbourne last month tested positive to the virus and there have been at least three cases of local transmission, the state’s deputy premier said.

“It is clear now that Australia is experiencing a second wave of COVID-19 and we cannot afford to have that second wave here in Queensland,” Deputy Premier Steven Miles said.

Queensland, a popular holiday destination for people from the colder southern states, reported one new and 11 active cases on Wednesday.

Victorians are bracing for the shutdown of a range of businesses from hair salons to furniture stores, and curbs on construction activity, meat-works and warehouses, hitting 250,000 jobs.

In another blow to the economy, Australia’s number two airline, Virgin Australia Holdings, said on Wednesday it would axe 3,000 jobs under its prospective new owner Bain Capital.

© 2020 Reuters

Related news

Coronavirus: Iceland, Denmark issue new restrictions for bars — but in 2 different ways.

As coronavirus cases surge in some European countries, Iceland and Denmark are restricting social gatherings in pubs, but in different ways.  

Reznikov comments on «myth about secret preparations for local elections in occupied Donbas» .

Reznikov emphasized the elections could be held only under a separate law.

Kuleba warns Russia against steps undermining Belarus sovereignty, destabilizing region.

Kuleba emphasized the importance of monitoring Belarus developments.

Trump administration offered to pardon Julian Assange, lawyer says.

The lawyer said Trump offered to pardon Assange if he identified the source for the 2016 election publications.

Kuleba calls on UN Human Rights Council to monitor situation in Belarus.

Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Dmytro Kuleba has called on the UN Human Rights Council to monitor the situation in Belarus and warned Russia against further destabilization of the region.

PM Shmyhal: No threat of Ukraine being stripped of visa-free travel rights in EU.

Ukraine might lose the visa-free travel privilege for its citizens over the situation around the appointment of a new head of the Special Anti-corruption Prosecutor's Office, earlier reports claimed.

Chinese Apps TikTok, WeChat To Be Banned In US From Sunday: Report.

US officials on Friday ordered a ban on downloads of the popular Chinese-owned mobile applications WeChat and TikTok from Sunday, saying they threaten national security.

Trump to block TikTok, WeChat downloads in U.S on Sunday: sources

The U.S. Commerce Department plans to issue an order Friday that will bar people in the United States from downloading Chinese-owned messaging app WeChat and video-sharing app TikTok.

Negotiations on Donbas «extremely difficult» – Reznikov.

Vice PM has noted the importance of "team play."

1

Ukraine, Morocco resume political dialogue after long break.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba had a phone conversation with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates of the Kingdom of Morocco, Mr. Nasser Bourita.

By continuing to browse World News (UAZMI), you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and agree to the use of cookies