Daniil Medvedev plays a return to Spain's Carlos Alcaraz during a men's singles match at Wimbledon in London in July 2021.
Russian tennis player Daniil Medvedev will not sue Wimbledon over the tournament's ban on Russian and Belarusian players.
"If I can't play, I'm not going to go to court for this one," Medvedev told reporters on May 20 ahead of the French Open in Paris, where he is seeded second. Wimbledon last month became the first major tennis tournament to ban Russian and Belarusian players in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The All England Lawn Tennis Club, which runs Wimbledon, said it would be unacceptable for Russia "to derive any benefits from the involvement of Russian or Belarusian players" since launching its "unjustified and unprecedented military aggression." The ban affects Russia's other top player on the men's side, Andrei Rublev, ranked eighth, and Belarusian women's players Viktoria Azarenka, ranked 15th, and Aryna Sabalenka, ranked seventh. The ban does not affect their play in other tournaments, including the French Open, which gets under way on May 22. Medvedev said it was unclear to him whether the British government pushed Wimbledon or the tournament made the decision independently. Either way, he said there had been "a lot of mistakes behind this." He added that he is waiting for the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP), which runs the men's tennis tour, to make a statement on the ban. The ATP and the Womens Tennis Association could decide to strip the tournament, one of the four grand slams on the annual tennis calendar, of ranking points in response to the ban. Medvedev said if he cannot play at Wimbledon this year, he would try to play there next year. The Russian star has never won the tournament but made it as far as the last 16 in 2021.