Global News

Breaking news & current latest Canadian news headlines; national weather forecasts & predictions, local news videos, money and financial news; sports stats and scores.

https://globalnews.ca/

Canada’s former China ambassador won’t face ethics probe over Rio Tinto job .

Click to play video: 'Dominic Barton steps down as Canada’s ambassador to China'

WATCH: Dominic Barton has announced he will be stepping down as Canada's ambassador to China. David Akin explains why the departure might mean a new approach to relations between the two countries, as Ottawa still faces many diplomatic challenges with Beijing. – Dec 6, 2021

Canada’s former ambassador to China will not face a federal ethics probe into his joining mining giant Rio Tinto while finishing his diplomatic posting.

Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion’s office confirmed to Global News Monday that Dominic Barton, who served as Ottawa’s man in Beijing from Sept. 2019 until last month, will not face an investigation over accepting a job on Rio Tinto’s board.

“(Barton) did not have direct and significant dealings with Rio Tinto while he was Canada’s Ambassador in China. This was discussed with the commissioner prior to Mr. Barton’s pursuit of employment,” wrote Melanie Rushworth, a spokesperson for Dion’s office in a statement to Global News.

Rushworth said Barton, a former chief executive of international consulting firm McKinsey, contacted Dion’s office in October 2021 to “seek specific guidance in respect of post-employment pursuits.” Barton disclosed an Oct. 8 meeting with representatives from Rio Tinto at that time.

“Based on the information provided, Commissioner Dion determined Mr. Barton would not contravene (ethics rules) by accepting a position on the board of directors of Rio Tinto … As such, no examination will be undertaken based upon Mr. Barton’s actions prior to accepting the position,” Rushworth said.

Barton, who developed close ties in China through his business career, surprised observers in December when he announced he’d be stepping down after just two years in the key diplomatic job.

At the time, Barton said he worked to ease tensions with Beijing during his tenure, and cited the return of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor — who had been detained by Chinese authorities since late 2018 — as the fulfillment of a key mission given to him by Prime Minister Justin Trudeu.

Just weeks after his announcement, Barton’s name was floated in the international press as a potential successor to Rio Tinto’s outgoing chairman, Simon Thompson. On Dec. 19, the mining multinational made his appointment official.

More than half of Rio Tinto’s revenue comes from China, where the Anglo-Australian miner sells a significant amount of iron ore for the country’s steel mills. The opposition New Democrats called on Dion to investigate Barton’s appointment in December.

But Dion’s office found that Barton’s Oct. 8 meeting with Rio Tinto executives did not amount to “direct and significant official dealings” with the miner while he held the ambassadorial post.

“Upon determination that this meeting was not significant within the meaning of the Act, no other follow-up on this meeting was needed with (Dion’s office) before Mr. Barton’s acceptance of the offer of employment,” Rushworth said in a statement.

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Останні новини
Every Democrat will jump into the water: Former WH press secretary.

Every Democrat will jump into the water: Former WH press secretary.

Former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer discusses how Democrats are turning to failed governors as potential presidential candidates as Biden’s presidency continues to falter on ‘The Ingraham Angle.’ #theingrahamangle Subscribe to Fox New...

1 2

January 6 hearing target Jeffrey Clark recounts FBI raid.

January 6 hearing target Jeffrey Clark recounts FBI raid.

Former Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark joins 'Tucker Carlson Tonight' after Rep. Adam Kinzinger leads 1/6 testimony focused on him. #foxnews #tucker Subscribe to Fox News! Watch more Fox News Video: Watch Fox News Channel Live: FOX News C...

Watch: Vermont Man Uses Excavator To Stop Troopers From Arresting His Son.

Watch: Vermont Man Uses Excavator To Stop Troopers From Arresting His Son.

Authorities in Vermont say 52-year-old Wayne Tallman faces charges after he used an excavator to stop state troopers from arresting his son 24-year-old Brandon Tallman. » Watch more NBC video: NBC News Digital is a collection of innovative and pow...

PM vows to 'keep going' despite by-election losses and cabinet resignation.

PM vows to 'keep going' despite by-election losses and cabinet resignation.

Boris Johnson has vowed to 'keep going' after being told to reconsider his position. The Conservatives have suffered two by-election losses in Wakefield and the Devon seat of Tiverton and Honiton while Oliver Dowden has resigned as Conservative Pa...

1 1

Boris Johnson says he will 'listen' to voters after triple blow.

Boris Johnson says he will 'listen' to voters after triple blow.

Boris Johnson says he has "got to listen to what people are saying" after a suffering a triple blow losing two by-elections and the resignation of a Cabinet minister. The Prime Minister admitted the Conservatives had "tough by-elections results" w...

1 2

BREAKING: Wakefield win 'hugely significant' for Labour - Keir Starmer.

BREAKING: Wakefield win 'hugely significant' for Labour - Keir Starmer.

Sir Keir Starmer has said the by-election win in Wakefield is a "hugely significant win for the Labour party". The Labour leader said the Conservatives were "imploding" and the country was "on course for a Labour government". #SkyNews #keirstarmer...

1