NDTV News

NDTV.com provides latest news from India and the world. Get today’s news headlines from Business, Technology, Bollywood, Cricket, videos, photos, live news coverage and exclusive breaking news from India.

https://www.ndtv.com/

Recklessly «Abandoned» SpaceX Rocket Junk Will Soon Crash Into The Moon.

Recklessly 'Abandoned' SpaceX Rocket Junk Will Soon Crash Into The Moon

A chunk of a SpaceX rocket that was abandoned in space will crash into the Moon in March.

Washington:

A chunk of a SpaceX rocket that blasted off seven years ago and was abandoned in space after completing its mission will crash into the Moon in March, experts say.

The rocket was deployed in 2015 to put into orbit a NASA satellite called the Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR).

Since then, the second stage of the rocket, or booster, has been floating in what mathematicians call a chaotic orbit, astronomer Bill Gray told AFP Wednesday.

It was Gray who calculated the space junk's new collision course with the Moon.

The booster passed quite close to the Moon in January in a rendezvous that altered its orbit, said Gray.

He is behind Project Pluto, software that allows for calculating the trajectory of asteroids and other objects in space and is used in NASA-financed space observation programs.

A week after the rocket stage whizzed close to the Moon, Gray observed it again and concluded it would crash into the Moon's dark side on March 4 at more than 5,500 miles per hour (9,000 kilometers per hour).

Gray appealed to the amateur astronomer community to join him in observing the booster, and his conclusion was confirmed.

The exact time and spot of impact may change slightly from his forecast but there is widespread agreement that there will be a collision on the Moon that day.

"I've been tracking junk of this sort for about 15 years. And this is the first unintentional lunar impact that we've had," Gray told AFP.

'Time to start regulating'

Astronomer Jonathan McDowell told AFP it's possible similar impacts have taken place unnoticed.

"There're at least 50 objects that were left in deep Earth orbit in the '60s, '70s and '80s that were just abandoned there. We didn't track them," he said.

"Now we're picking up a couple of them... but a lot of them we're not finding and so they're not there anymore," he added. "Probably at least a few of them hit the moon accidentally and we just didn't notice."

The impact of the SpaceX rocket chunk weighing four tons on the Moon will not be visible from Earth in real time.

But it will leave a crater that scientists will be able to observe with spacecraft and satellites like NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter or India's Chandrayaan-2, and thus learn more about the geology of the Moon.

Spacecraft have been intentionally crashed into the Moon before for scientific purposes, such as during the Apollo missions to test seismometers.

In 2009, NASA sent a rocket stage hurling into the Moon near its south pole to look for water.

But most rockets do not go so far from Earth. SpaceX brings its rocket boosters back through the Earth's atmosphere so they disintegrate over the ocean. The first stage is recovered and reused.

Gray said there could be more unintentional crashes into the Moon in the future as the US and Chinese space programs in particular leave more junk in orbit.

The US together with international partners is already planning a space station to orbit the Moon.

McDowell noted these events "start to be problematic when there's a lot more traffic."

"It's actually no one's job to keep track of the junk that we leave out in deep earth orbit," he added. "I think now's the time to start regulating it."

SpaceX did not immediately respond to request for comment from AFP.

Elon Musk's company is currently developing a lunar lander that should allow NASA to send astronauts back to the Moon by 2025 at the earliest.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Останні новини
Boris Johnson joke 'wearing thin,' says Labour's Lisa Nandy.

Boris Johnson joke 'wearing thin,' says Labour's Lisa Nandy.

Shadow Levelling Up Secretary Lisa Nandy says the joke with Boris Johnson is 'wearing thin' and that people want 'serious politicians.' #Labour #Politics #skynews SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos: Follow us on Twitter: Like us on F...

British-led Dark Angels team blast Russian positions with a Javelin anti-tank missiles.

British-led Dark Angels team blast Russian positions with a Javelin anti-tank missiles.

British-led Dark Angels team blast Russian positions with a Javelin anti-tank missile on Ukraine’ southern front line. The Sun newspaper brings you the latest breaking news videos and explainers from the UK and around the world Become a Sun Subscr...

HUGE Russian bomb is removed from apartment block in Kharkiv, Ukraine.

HUGE Russian bomb is removed from apartment block in Kharkiv, Ukraine.

MOMENT a HUGE Russian bomb is removed from apartment block in Kharkiv, Ukraine. The bomb which hit a residential building in the city's Saltivka district in March was deactivated the day after the attack but the non-stop shelling of the area in th...

Jan. 6 committee focuses on Trump’s efforts to push the DOJ to overturn the 2020 election

Jan. 6 committee focuses on Trump’s efforts to push the DOJ to overturn the 2020 election

During its fifth public hearing, The Jan. 6 House select committee focused on former President Trump’s efforts to pressure the Justice Department to overturn the results of the 2020 election. Testimony revealed several Republican Congressman sough...

1

Live Coverage: Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, its landmark abortion ruling - CBS News

Live Coverage: Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, its landmark abortion ruling - CBS News

The Supreme Court on Friday overturned its landmark decision in Roe v. Wade that established the right to an abortion, with a ruling that marks a seismic shift in abortion law and will usher in new rules limiting or banning access to the procedure...

Ukraine orders forces to withdraw from Sievierodonetsk - DW News.

Ukraine orders forces to withdraw from Sievierodonetsk - DW News.

Ukraine has ordered the withdrawal of its troops from the battleground twin city of Sievierodonetsk, where Russian forces have slowly advanced over the last several weeks, Luhansk governor Serhiy Gaidai said on Friday. "Ukrainian armed forces will...